Siemens Step5 150u Analogue Output Scaling

The outputs are referenced as OW , not PW. I've never seen this before. When writing the STL , S5 will not allow me to enter T PW or T QW.

Strange. You should be allowed to write T QW0-126 and T PW0-254 and download. But non-existing addresses will cause the CPU to fail or activate one of the error-OBs (OB twenty-something).
---

OW is extended pheriphery (in German S5 the acronym is QW
icon10.gif
)
How do the central rack and extended rack communicate (card types)?

Kalle

150u Analogue Outputs.

Thanks again for your continued input.
I have been back to the machine to look again at things.
I can indeed enter the STL code,

T PW160.

The editor will let me enter this. However, the assignment list has this commented as AI160, meaning Analogue input. Is this just confusing me ? If PW160 is an analogue output, then what would analogue input 160 be ?

The I/O rack interface cards are IM306's , however I can't see a number of the card in the main rack. I have however, attached some pics that may help.

UPDATE:- I think the extension card in the main rack may be 6ES5-300

At this point I need to go and try entering the line T PW160 , but as always with this machine, it's in full production and if I do something to crash the PLC the cost to production is in the region of £25K. I will be for the high jump if I crash it.
There's possibly a gap in production later today , I will try and make the change then if possible.

150u Main Rack.jpg 150u I-O Interface.jpg 115u Type Analogue OP.jpg Assignment List.jpg

Last edited:
(L) PW160 as input is a different address than (T) PW160. So an AO card can have the same address as an AI card. Tragically the symbolics does not separate them.

But in this case, from the symbols list, it looks like this rack is adressed as extended peripery and that you should use T OW160

Kalle

Is there anyway I can confirm that they are OW ? Hardware settings or anything else?

UPDATE:- just got the gap in production. Modified my code to write to PW162.

It works , BUT... It turns out the card with all 8 outputs marked as spares are in fact written to in the existing software.
That is card slot 4, card slot 1 has 2 spare outputs on it. I have written to these using PW instead of OW and it does work fine.
So, I'll add a new card, addressed from PW176 and it should be all ok.
I think the main confusion came about here due to the assignment list text clashing inputs and outputs. Now I understand it, I should be able to move forward to my goal.

Thanks to you guys for nudging me in the right direction. Brilliant, thanks a lot chaps.

Last edited:
(L) PW160 as input is a different address than (T) PW160. So an AO card can have the same address as an AI card. Tragically the symbolics does not separate them.

But in this case, from the symbols list, it looks like this rack is adressed as extended peripery and that you should use T OW160

Kalle

I didn't think 150u's did extended periphery, these were only in 135u's and 155u's.