microloigx 1400 and barcode scanner

irondesk40

Looking at connecting a sick clv410 type barcode scanner to a system that has a micrologix 1400. In the past, the way our equipment has worked is as follows.
1. Operator selects barcode to print on package and downloads into printer and selects on the operator screen to learn the new barcode.
2. Packages run through machine and at some point a photocell is used to trigger a scanner to scan.
3. If scanner saw a good read then package was not ejected.
4. If scanner saw that the barcode did not match, it was ejected.
5. If 4 out of 16 packages where saw as not good, then stop the machine.
On all of our packaging equipment the above is how they function. The plc will signal the scannner to scan
I would like some advice or some insight on how to connect the scanner into the 1400 and then display it on the screen. I have done some looking into, but no idea at the moment.
Any advice would be very helpful.