convert a plc5 (.rss) file to .txt or .rtf

A .rss file is a RSLogix500 program.

You can convert them to a PDF file, but to a txt file would be gibberish.

Use the programming software's report option then print to a PDF file.

In programs that I didn't know well I would export the database to a csv file so I could search text on an comment. The csv can be opened with excel or notepad.
Is that what you are after?

In programs that I didn't know well I would export the database to a csv file so I could search text on an comment. The csv can be opened with excel or notepad.
Is that what you are after?

The OP did say "program", but if he/she really meant it's descriptions, comments or symbols then your method will work just fine.

I was looking forsometing to convert the ladder program to something that resembles old AI software that used text characters to create the rungs I know how to save as a pdf. but our database search tool "DBDOC" will not reconise the text in pdf files

Last edited:
Highlight the rungs you're interested in, copy, then paste them into word/notepad/... You'll get something like this

Code:
[FONT=&quot]SOR XIO T4:1/DN TON T4:1 0.01 100 53 EOR  SOR JSR 4 EOR  SOR JSR 5 EOR  SOR JSR 6 EOR  SOR JSR 7 EOR  SOR JSR 8 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/8 JSR 10 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/7 JSR 11 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/6 JSR 12 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/5 JSR 13 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/4 JSR 14 EOR  SOR XIO N7:91/3 JSR 16 EOR

I guess I'm really interested in what you intend to do with this though...
[/FONT]

I work a papermill and most of the analog control is done through ABB Symphony (Bailey control) and DBDOC is a tag based database interface giveing you "live reading" on loope sheats ect. most of the digital i/o is all plc based so it would be nice to get then plc ladder logic searchable eith the same tool ie: i have a tag called 471-vl-2343 and right now a search will take me to a list of all accurances of this tag in plans prints and loope sheets ect. But dosnt look at plc database and ladder diagrams.

try this ...

first "Add a Printer" to your computer – and specify a "Generic/Text Only" format (see highlight) ...

then "print" the database to a TXT (text) file ...

maybe that will give you what you need ...

depending on how deep you want to go with this, you might be able to print a Cross-Reference List along the same lines ...

print_database.jpg

Last edited: