New Computer - Choose Virtual Machine

keshik

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm getting a new laptop from work that shipped with Windows 10 that our IT department wasn't able to downgrade to Win7 64. So, I'm now off to using a VM. We primarily run Rockwell software and are currently using FTView 8.0 and Studio 5000 v24, neither of which are officially Windows 10 compatible.

Our IT department is pushing me towards Hyper-V. Does anyone have any experience using it with the Rockwell software? I have no experience with it.

We have another division that uses VirtualBox for their VM'ing. What about that?

Personally, I'd prefer to use VMWare Workstation Pro. I've used it before, can make it work, and Rockwell pushes it. Are there enough horror stories with other virtual machines for me have good ground to push for VMWare?

Thoughts?

We use VirtualBox and run FTV 8.0 and Logix/Studio 5000 v15-30 in our VM. USB can be clunky, so can drag/drop/copy/paste (files). Other than that, I like it.

We use VirtualBox and run FTV 8.0 and Logix/Studio 5000 v15-30 in our VM. USB can be clunky, so can drag/drop/copy/paste (files). Other than that, I like it.

How are you setting up your VMs? Both FTView and Studio in the same VM? Is IT allowing you multiple running VMs?

We run everything in one VM. Our IT department lets us set our stuff up how we want for the most part so we could run multiple if we wanted to. I run a Linux VM as well.

In my personal experience, VMware is superior on a Windows host, and VirtualBox is superior on a Linux host. I've used VMware more and love it.

Surprised anyone uses VirtualBox at all now since Oracle is bound to ruin it, if they haven't already.

I'm getting a new laptop from work that shipped with Windows 10 that our IT department wasn't able to downgrade to Win7 64. So, I'm now off to using a VM. We primarily run Rockwell software and are currently using FTView 8.0 and Studio 5000 v24, neither of which are officially Windows 10 compatible.

I have run both of those packages on my W10 machine. The Studio software worked best by installing the latest (30 I think), and then installing previous versions as needed (I went down to 19 with no problems).

If you can't download new versions, you have to run some earlier versions of Studio in a Win XP Compatibility mode. I started off like that but after a W10 update screwed up I had to re-install 10 and that's how I found that installing the latest versions first was the way to go.

VMware supports USB3 natively now, and that is a big advantage IMO.
VMware supports ethernet on the ISO/MAC level, not just TCP/IP. That can be an advantage in a programming environment (actually I dont know of Virtualbox can do this). Ethernet on ISO is essential for Siemens S7 for example.

VMWare here too. I have about 10 different images to accommodate all of my software combinations

Our IT department is pushing me towards Hyper-V. Does anyone have any experience using it with the Rockwell software? I have no experience with it.

We have another division that uses VirtualBox for their VM'ing. What about that?

Personally, I'd prefer to use VMWare Workstation Pro. I've used it before, can make it work, and Rockwell pushes it. Are there enough horror stories with other virtual machines for me have good ground to push for VMWare?

Thoughts?

VMWare Workstation here too, just make sure you get a decent sized second drive if you can to use as the VM HDD, also get as much RAM as you can in the machine, at least 16GB.

I don't use it for Rockwell but more for Dev stuff and legacy programs, got images for Server 2012, 2008, XP, Win10 and a Linux one too

Hyper-V worked fine last time I used it. I have never had issues with software not working as it should within Hyper-V.

The downside for me was the lack of USB support for connecting to external devices such as a PLC. Which, I understand that is intentionally the philosophy to make the VM isolated from the host. But, when I need to connect to a device via USB and I can do so with VMware Workstation it made Hyper-V a non starter.

VirtualBox had a similar issue with USB. Maybe that is resolved now. But I also ran into issues with their licensing. Everyone talks about how it is free, but it isn't free if you are using the Extension Pack (you really need it) for commercial use. Licenses are $50 each with a minimum order of 100. Plus an $11 support fee (x100). Maybe there is a way around that minimum purchase. I didn't investigate further.

For me, I started with VMware and that is what I choose. I have tried Hyper-V and VirtualBox and they both seemed very capable and if I did not require USB support I think either would do the job just fine. VirtualBox licensing would probably push me to use Hyper-V though.

OG

We use VMware with no issues.
Both of us have W10 64 bit pro and use vmworkstation 12 pro with numerous vm's running. no issues.

our laptops have vmplayer and can run 2 vm's with no issues.
3 is pushing it, very slow.

james

Dont do the same error than i did, i installed all my PLC and HMI Software on the same VM. Big big mistake.

All my Rockwell and Schneider driver stopped working and communicating.

Im using VMware, its alright

but 1 VMware on windows XP for my Rockwell software
and 1 VMware on windows XP for my Schneider and other brand.