GE FANUC...taking the big leap...newbie loading LM90 Needs Help

vampire

1) lm 90 loaded onto laptop (XP)
2) Drivers for USB Cable IC690USB901 Loaded on Laptop.
3) Laptop USB CABLE Com port ID'ed as COM5
4) NOW IM STUCK

Cant open the utility for LM 90 to select the correct com port... because its asking for a password??? what password?

HELP???

Bart

Last edited:
Password???. We don't need no stinkin' passwords!

It sounds like you're trying to get into the area where you set up ethernet communications. That needs a password, but there is no need for you to set up ethernet communications.

Please post the exact sequence of keystrokes that get you to the point where you are being prompted for a password.

You will need to get your USB converter installed as COM4 or lower. Logicmaster only recognizes COM1 through COM4.

From the very first screen that appears when you launch Logicmaster, hit F9 (setup), then F4 (PLC communications option) and make sure that the "Communication device" is "Serial Port".

Once you've verified serial communications, hit <ESC> until you get back to the main screen. Then hit F1 (program) to enter the programming module. When you get into it, you will be prompted to select or create a program folder. If you don't have any folders listed, type in a new name like "Today". Just don't use the name "TEMP". That's reserved for special needs.

Once you're in the programming module with a folder selected, hit F7 (setup), then F4 (comset). That's where you select the COM port. Use the <Tab> key to scroll through the options. When you have selected the port you want to use, be sure to hit F6(setup) to activate your choice. Then hit F7 (save) to make sure that next time you launch Logicmaster it will remember your selection so you won't have to go through the whole procedure again.

Steve,

...sorry.

There was a prog called "Comm Config Utility" in the LM9030 Program folder that I assumed id need to run before communication would work. Instead I stumbled around in LM90 and tried to force it to see COM5, when I realized that it didn't like COM5, but rather fancied COM2, I went into the computers systems device manager and reset the USB's com port to COM2, then went back into LM90 and set that preference to COM2 and that fixed that. I set the programer mode set-up to online and downloaded the program that came on the plc when I got it to the laptop. and with the plc running I can see it sequence in real time on the laptop with the PLC. ( so I guess things are working)...now if I only knew what I was doing ;)

Is it the nature of LM90 that you can only see a few rungs at a time?
I reread the posts on expanding the window to full screen and I expected to see more info, not less info bigger,(if Im explaining myself correctly)

Bart

Last edited:
What you see is what you get. Remember, Logicmaster is a DOS application and dates back to the dark ages before scaleable fonts.

By repeatedly pressing ALT + N you can scroll through the options of how much or how little documentation gets displayed on the screen, but the screen is always going to be 80 characters wide x 25 lines high.

Steve,

I reloaded my earlier post with a better explination of what I did to get the PLC and Laptop to start communicating.

Bart

I also see that there was an option of programing the logic letf to right or right to left? whats the standard or most customairy way?

Bart

The left-to-right vs right-to-left is strictly for viewing the data tables. Flow on a rung of ladder logic is from left to right. Coils will be placed in the rightmost location in a rung. A rung is a maximum of ten elements wide with a maximum of seven OR branches deep.

If you remember no other hot key combinations, remember ALT + H and ALT + K. The first gets you into the help screens. The second gives you a list of all hot key combinations.

Steve,

OK is there a generic WYSIWYG GIU emulator that will allow you to design a program i.e. the ladder logic so one can print out the logic and hand key it into LM90? Since I don't know LL yet I thought something graphical could get me half way and I could troubleshoot the rest before I enter it in LM90. Is there such an animal?

Bart

I'm not sure quite what you're looking for, so I'll leave it up to somebody else to answer about the emulator. Check out the simulator on this site. I don't know if it supports printouts, but at the very least you could take screen captures and print them.

Myself, I've been doing this stuff long enough so that a pencil and paper work for me. At least as long as the pencil starts with a full-size eraser. The eraser generally gets more of a workout than the point. Of course, I'm old enough to remember the days when drafting meant a board with a drafting machine attached. In fact, I still have an electric eraser. I keep it in the same drawer as my slide rule.