Micrologix 1200 - Ethernet module

Cryogen

I have a Micrologix 1200 PLC connected to a PanelView std 600. I need to make this PLC ethernet compatable so that our customers can hook it up to their network. Anyways, I just got the Ethernet IP module (1761-NET-ENI). I was under the impression that this would hook on to the PLC as an extension module (like the analog module) but looks like it needs to be connected to the RS232 port of ML 1200. Then how would I connect the Panelview?

Please help..

What model PV600? Is it just RS232? If so, then you have mutiple choices.
You can first, exhange your unit (ML1200) for a DUAL PORT model, with 2 RS232 ports, and keep all of your existing hardware, with the NET-ENI module, expanding to your ethernet network.
Next choice, buy a Port expander module. (RS232)
Next choice, get rid of your PV, and use an ethernet unit.
So many choices.
We really need more information about your existing PV.

jstolaruk said:
You need the 1200 model that supports 2 serial ports, the 1200R.

I agree, or you could get a ML1100 with built-in Ethernet as was suggested. But if you already bought the NET-ENI then you may want to stick with the 2-port ML1200.

I assume you are not needing to access the PV via Ethernet as well? This would not be possible with your current setup even if you replaced the PLC... you'd have to purchase the Ethernet-enabled version of the PV.

But if you change the 1200 whit the 1100, what about all the outputs and inputs. I have a micrologix 1200 whit 24 used input. I can not get that in a 1100 or.....

But if you change the 1200 whit the 1100, what about all the outputs and inputs. I have a micrologix 1200 whit 24 used input. I can not get that in a 1100 or.....

It may take some wiring changes, but you can add expansion modules to the ML1100 (up to four of them) to increase your I/O count.

Last edited:
Changing to the Micrologix 1100 may be an option but it cannot take as many I/O modules as the 1200. Depending on your current module count this may be a problem.

Note that the NET-ENI does provide an Etherent connection but at the speed of the serial port. The Micrologix 100 would provide full Ethernet speed.

The DH485 setting on the port means that you can't use a port splitter. In any case it appears you are due for a hardware change. The dual port 1200 may be the least problamatic choice.

This post was dead for 7 years. Not anymore. I have a very similar setup. New machine came with a Micrologix 1200, 2- port. We have to make it Ethernet accessible. I got a brand new NET-ENI and am try to make it work. I don't see the NET-ENI driver in Linx. How do I address the NET-ENI??? Does Linx have to use a 485 driver like mentioned above? Please help.