windows xp vs vista

My computer crashed all files gone. I need to buy a new laptop but they all run windows vista. And I am being told that my programs will not run on windows vista. These programs are, Allen Bradley, Omron, Parallax, FPID, Automation Direct, C-more, C-more+, Panelview, About 3 more hmi programs and the Fanuc program. Should I buy an old pc or can windows vista run all this?

maintenanceman38 said:
My computer crashed all files gone. I need to buy a new laptop but they all run windows vista. And I am being told that my programs will not run on windows vista. These programs are, Allen Bradley, Omron, Parallax, FPID, Automation Direct, C-more, C-more+, Panelview, About 3 more hmi programs and the Fanuc program. Should I buy an old pc or can windows vista run all this?

Dell still supply PCs and laptops with XP Pro

You need XP. unless you can go without a 'puter for 6 months to a year, then maybe the stuff will be hasta la vista compatible.

I think there are still new PCs available with XP, but time is quickly running out. At the very least, you may want to recover your old XP license and try to find a PC with hardware for which XP drivers are still available.

EDIT:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows+xp+availability

Last edited:
Consider using Vista along with virtualization software. I use VMWare Workstation daily with Rockwell software. It does not support PCMCIA slots, but serial and ethernet work like a charm.

Be aware that if XP came pre-installed on your old PC the license is most likely NOT transferrable to a new PC. Windows OEM licenses are tied to a specific machine. If you bought a full retail version (not an upgrade) then it is transferrable.

OG

I am writing this on my "NEW" 1995 Toughbook...I bought it at a yard sale for $5.00, and had the IT guy at work go thru it.
It came with Dos 3.1, but is now running the lightest version of XP (XP for Legecy PC's)...Very cool 'cus it has a REAL com port,and it runs all the programs I need!!!

David:beerchug: :site:

Just about all the latest Omron software runs on Vista. This includes CX-One, FINS Gateway 2003 but does not include CX-Supervisor.

You can buy a laptop from Dell, and others, with back rights to XP Pro. I believe you cannot just buy XP Pro anymore on it's own. This will cost you a bit but it still can be done until the end of June.

Check the Dell website.

If you buy7 this way now you could setup dual boot although it is not for the faint hearted with Vista. Perhaps your supplier can setup dual boot for you.

No kidding? That's great. I'd say that late 90s era laptops are about what fit the PLC programming software that most vendors use. The typical problem is that between the hard drives and myriad of integrated components on the board (IMO) most laptops don't last much longer than 3 years. But Toughbooks are designed to be a little more survivable (I have 10+ good as dead 4-5 year old ones out of 70 at work).

My vote goes for XP to the OP (virtualization counts).

David_Emmerich said:
I am writing this on my "NEW" 1995 Toughbook...I bought it at a yard sale for $5.00, and had the IT guy at work go thru it.
It came with Dos 3.1, but is now running the lightest version of XP (XP for Legecy PC's)...Very cool 'cus it has a REAL com port,and it runs all the programs I need!!!

David:beerchug: :site:

Lol - nothing like being brutally honest. Or blunt...

Every once in awhile I feel like drop kicking my laptop out the window. It's then that I most strongly agree...🔨

TWControls said:
Vista blows chunks...

I seem to recall lots of people feeling the same way about XP when it came out.

I personally haven't had a hint of trouble with Vista. I used it for a good six months. I am now running Server 2008 which is basically Vista as a server. I have a Vista VM and lots of XP vms. Even a DOS vm when the need arises.

OG

I just bought myself a new laptop, just in case MS do not extend the XP availability again. Otherwise, its off to the second hand PC store. They still have quite a few XP pro PCs.

Final choice is for a sub notebook, like an Eee PC or something similar.

Anyone tried to use an Eee for PLC programming?

If you are willing to format and or write over your old operating system (Vista)

You can buy a sealed version of Xp software on Ebay

I bought a brand new sealed version of xp media version for £70.00

You could also take a gamble and buy an old or cosmetically damaged laptop and just swap hard drives from the old one into yours

However , the gamble would be

1/ It may ask for and not be able to install drivers for stuff on the new laptop that it finds and might not integrate them properly

2/ you would invalidate your warranty

So do not do this unless you are happy with the gamble

If you do not need or have a warranty , the only gamble is that the substitute hard disk with xp on , doesnt work