programming remote PLC AB CompactLogix L43 with RsLogix 5000

italo2008

Hi (and sorry for my English...:D)

is it possible programming a CompactLogix L43 with an ethernet/ip module (1768 eweb) using RsLogix 5000? I know that I can read/write tags on a remote plc, but I don't know if I can insert, remove or modify ladder logic. Someone can help me?

thanks

If I understand there is a program and you want to modify it? If so yes you can, either offline or inline. It also depends what you want to do.

If you have the software installed on the local machine there are any number of pachages that will let you have remote access e.g. PC Anywhere, MS Remote Desktop

Hi (and sorry for my English...:D)

is it possible programming a CompactLogix L43 with an ethernet/ip module (1768 eweb) using RsLogix 5000? I know that I can read/write tags on a remote plc, but I don't know if I can insert, remove or modify ladder logic. Someone can help me?

thanks
Your English is better than my Italian. ( and probably better than my English )

I am not certain that you can edit online with CompactLogix.

I was just trying to do that today. My first experience with CompactLogix. I know you can with ControlLogix, and I was using the RsLogix 5000, edited a rung and could not find any way to test the edit... until I went offline. Then the test and accept rung edits were enabled. Had to put controller on program and then download.

I was using an ethernet connection, so I don't know why I couldn't have done it from anywhere on the network.

It is quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, so if someone knows better, I'd be glad to learn.đź“š

Your English is better than my Italian. ( and probably better than my English )

I am not certain that you can edit online with CompactLogix.

I was just trying to do that today. My first experience with CompactLogix. I know you can with ControlLogix, and I was using the RsLogix 5000, edited a rung and could not find any way to test the edit... until I went offline. Then the test and accept rung edits were enabled. Had to put controller on program and then download.

I was using an ethernet connection, so I don't know why I couldn't have done it from anywhere on the network.

It is quite possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, so if someone knows better, I'd be glad to learn.đź“š
Yes you can do online edits on the Compactlogix series, just like a Contrologix series.
Not sure if you are allowed to use the internet and hook up to your controller on site, the other option will be a modem (RADES from AB).

I have accessed a control logix and a compact logix over the internet using a VPN connection. I could go online, do online edits, save, upload, download, just about anything.

There isn't always a "Test Edits" in the mouse options, but it is always in the top menu.

It was not enabled anywhere until I went off line. I looked. The only one enabled was cancel edits.

It appeared to be working like it did with Control Logix ... edit rung, verify, etc. ...up until "test edits"... no option enabled except cancel.

Last edited:
I have accessed a control logix and a compact logix over the internet. I could go online, do online edits, save, upload, download

THIS is what I want to do.

I have the PLC at home,and I want understand if I can do it with my configuration, wich (at the moment) is:
CompactLogix L43
1768 EWEB module,connected via ethernet with a router-switch D-link G624T, wich is connected to the Internet (Adsl line,with dynamic IP address).
Suppose I have no local machine with rslogix 5000,so using VNC or similar isn't a solution for me.

1)With this configuration,if my home is in Italy (for example :D) can I go to America with my notebook and connect to the plc (in wich a simple program is running) using rslogix 5000 and do all those beautiful things that Godfrey said?

2)If not,what must I add/change on my configuration? a VPN connection is the only solution?

thanks

Last edited:
THIS is what I want to do.

I have the PLC at home,and I want understand if I can do it with my configuration, wich (at the moment) is:
CompactLogix L43
1768 EWEB module,connected via ethernet with a router-switch D-link G624T, wich is connected to the Internet (Adsl line,with dynamic IP address).
Suppose I have no local machine with rslogix 5000,so using VNC or similar isn't a solution for me.

1)With this configuration,if my home is in Italy (for example :D) can I go to America with my notebook and connect to the plc (in wich a simple program is running) using rslogix 5000 and do all those beautiful things that Godfrey said?

2)If not,what must I add/change on my configuration? a VPN connection is the only solution?

thanks

You cannot make changes to program loaded in a control logix plc without using RSLogix 5000, which must be installed on your machine. You can create a web application to allow you to monitor and change tag values, but not to compile new code for the PLC to run.

It seems that you do have RSLogix 5000, so you can remotely access the PLC through almost any network, and make whatever changes you want. All you need to know is the how to get to the ethernet subnet that the PLC resides on. I've actually never tried this, so I don't know if it can be done through RSLinx or not. You may need a VPN to allow your machine to access the subnet that your home router is on.

$

Last edited: