AB 440C Programmable Safety Relay

benaiahhenry

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone here ever used the AB 440C-CR30 programmable safety relay?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make it perform the following function:

I have a system with a light curtain and an e-stop chain. I want the light curtain to be self-resetting, but I want the estop to be a manual reset (even after pulling out the estop, the operator should have to press "restart")

I've figured out how to make it work if I use two different safety outputs, one for the estop and one for the light curtain, but I can't figure out to to make it work with a single safety output.

I've attached a zipped copy of the program I have so far. It also shows a delayed off output since I'll be using that to drop the STO on a drive after the enable is dropped, but I'm not worried about that piece.

At this point I don't have actual hardware, I'm just trying to make sure it can do what I want before buying :)

Thanks for any input!

I will look at your program later
however.
my understanding is you want two different output states.
1. 'restart' PB resets the E/stop
- this then lets the machine run
2. 'Light Curtain' self reset
- as soon as the light curtain is clear allow the machine to operate.

I gather it is not possible to enter the machine area via the light curtain.

Also you are programming two controls with one safety output
is that possible with this setup?

Look at this as 2 different safety zones. You can feed zone 1 to an input for Zone 2. You cant do device specific control as far as I know.

I will look at your program later
however.
my understanding is you want two different output states.
1. 'restart' PB resets the E/stop
- this then lets the machine run
2. 'Light Curtain' self reset
- as soon as the light curtain is clear allow the machine to operate.

I gather it is not possible to enter the machine area via the light curtain.

Also you are programming two controls with one safety output
is that possible with this setup?

Correct, you can not enter the machine through the light curtain. And your functional description is correct. I'm trying to get this functionality with only one output because there is only one response to the safety system going down, but due to the process, the light curtain will be broken as part of the normal operation of the machine, so we want that part to be self resetting.

Look at this as 2 different safety zones. You can feed zone 1 to an input for Zone 2. You cant do device specific control as far as I know.

That's a good idea, thanks Jeff! Have you ever done that with this particular relay?

Try this program. On the gate switch input, just connect it to 24v always.

Don't have a relay here, so I could not try it...

Try this program. On the gate switch input, just connect it to 24v always.

Don't have a relay here, so I could not try it...

Thanks! That looks like it might work. I think the OR in Logic Level B would need to be an AND though.

For the "AND with Restart", does the restart have to be high all the time to get an output? The truth table in the help for that instruction would seem to indicate that. Do you know if that is the case? Or once the been "restart" has been pressed will the output be maintained even if the restart input is low as long as the two inputs remain high?

I'm hoping to have access to a test system this afternoon to try out some of these things.

Thanks for the help!

I think I just answered my own question :) I just found the user manual and it has more information on the instructions than the help in the CCW.

Page 72 of this manual shows that the output would stay hi after the restart goes low.

Hopefully I'll get a change to test this out this afternoon.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks! That looks like it might work. I think the OR in Logic Level B would need to be an AND though.

For the "AND with Restart", does the restart have to be high all the time to get an output? The truth table in the help for that instruction would seem to indicate that. Do you know if that is the case? Or once the been "restart" has been pressed will the output be maintained even if the restart input is low as long as the two inputs remain high?

I'm hoping to have access to a test system this afternoon to try out some of these things.

Thanks for the help!

You're right it shouldn't be an OR but an AND.

Post your result when you test it...

You're right it shouldn't be an OR but an AND.

Post your result when you test it...

My vendor didn't have a demo relay so I wasn't able to test this yesterday. They've ordered one though so hopefully in a week or two I'll be able to test this. I'll let you know what I find. Probably to late for this particular project, but always good to know for the next one :)

Just wanted to post a follow up here in case someone else runs across this in the future. The CR30, worked perfectly for what I wanted. The final code is attached. I was able to get this tested in time for the original project, and I'm very glad I did.

I was using it with a standalone Kinetix 300 and I was able to have one set of safety outputs do a "delayed ON" and another set do a "delayed OFF". That way I could drop the STO after the enable on an estop, and turn the Enable on after the STO came on when resetting. I also used a "Jog" to pulse an output to send a fault reset to the drive as it was re-enabled. Worked perfectly!

Thanks for all the help!

I am glad it worked well for you. I just finished up a job with 10 CR30 .
Sorry I missed most of this thread I was I the middle of a startup with a sawmill

They where all standalone. if you need a large system jump up to guardLogix. There is a few undocumented issues with these. I maxed out several of thesen the I/O.

I have done several large scale safety systems. Stamping press cell, barrel making machines, Robots. ...

benaiahhenry - Thanks for posting a follow up with your final configuration. I have a couple suggestions for future reference.

1) On the Gate Switch SMF2 that has its inputs wired to 24V, click on Advanced Settings and disable Pulse Testing. If you leave it enabled and there is ever a cross fault (short circuit) between Test Sources MP_12 and MP_13, you will not be able to clear that fault in the Gate Switch SMF2 unless you remove that 24V signal (from BOTH channels) and then reconnect it. Normally the way you clear the fault from the SMF (after physically removing the wiring fault) is by opening and then closing the gate to turn off the inputs and then turn them on (a "Functional Test of the Input Device") - difficult when it's hard wired to 24V!

2) Consider using the "Alternative Device" SMF instead of Gate Switch for SMF2. You can configure this (in Advanced Settings) for a single NC input with pulse testing disabled - that way you only consume 1 input terminal instead of 2.