Red lion HMI

Roy2

Hi I am running a G306 Red lion Screen and am trying to find a
box that would be tied to 2 inputs X1 and X2 only one can be on at a time. When one is on it would show #1 on when #2 is on it would show #2. Is there a multi state button somewhere that i am missing? Any help would appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Red Lion, but that has to be easy in any HMI. I'm a bit confused by your first reference to a "box" and you second to a "multistate button". Are you looking to display X1/X2 or change its value?

General approaches that an HMI would take from simplest (best for you to use) to most complex:
1. A "multistate" component that does what you want. They programmed it for you so it will work best and be easiest to use.
2. An expression. You mentioned a simple IF/THEN/ELSE condition. This might only work/be easy for display conditions.
3. Some sort of indirect reference. This could be a type of tag, pointer, or option that the object itself supports. Typically you build the tag path up as a string. Be careful - errors may send you to NULL pointer exception land.
4. Using some kind of scripting. If the HMI's worth anything you shouldn't have to go there in this case. It could be an extension of #2 for the write.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point on what to look for.

Roy2 said:
Hi I am running a G306 Red lion Screen and am trying to find a
box that would be tied to 2 inputs X1 and X2 only one can be on at a time. When one is on it would show #1 on when #2 is on it would show #2. Is there a multi state button somewhere that i am missing? Any help would appreciated.

I couldn't find an HMI manual online - only tech specs. Is it a G306A or a G306C? Does the embedded HMI package have a different name? If you send a link to a reference manual I could be more helpful.

If I understand correctly, X1 and X2 will be turned on and off by the PLC and that neither will be ON at the same time.

If so, you can create two status text primitives on the screen. Set the data source value of one of the objects to X1 and the Display State to X2 != 1. Set the data source value of the other object to X2 and the Display State to X1 != 1. Then, place these two objects on top of each other. Then, the object with X1 as it's data source value will only be visible when X2 = 0 (X2 != 1) and vice versa.

I emulated this with Crimson and it worked, but you may have to play around with the syntax. I have attached the simple demo program that I used to test this, I hope that it helps.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Another option would be to create one formula multi tag. Set the formula to (X1*1)+(X2*2). Assuming that X1 and X2 are bits, the value of the tag will then be:
0 if neither are on
1 if X1 only is on
2 if X2 only is on
3 if both are on

Create a multi indicator on your screen and assign this tag to it. You can then create the appropriate messages for the different states. I haven't tested this but it should work.

This screen is a G306C Below is a link to the manual. X1 And X2 are only inputs from a plc. they will be read only. Thanks for the replies that came in.

Koylur's method is how I would do it.

Another option would be to have 2 fixed texts stacked on top of each other. You could then use the Show Item property to choose when to show each item. You would run into a problem if both were on at the same time, which may be a problem, and is why Koylur's option is best.

Regards,
Dan