S7 -> S7 Ethernet communication

JIMCON

Hello,
I wonder if there is a way to perform a simple test with ethernet between two S7-300. Im going to send a string from a S7-300 to another S7-300. But for the moment I only have the S7-300 that is supposed send the data. Is there any way to simulate the other S7 system or use a program that can read what has been sent from the slave system ??

// Jim

If you're going to be sending a STRING, then the easiest way is probably to hang a PC on the network cable from the CP and use Telnet to display the data you send.

I believe Telnet is a standard part of the Windows S/W and you can run it in a DOS box. Typing "Telnet /?" will list the help file and to access your CP (if I remember correctly) you type "Telnet IP-Address".

It should be enough to show whether or not any data is being sent from the CP. I use this to check out our Cognex cameras and it works fine. The key point is that the data must be ASCII characters, but since jimcon said he wanted to send a STRING from one CP to the other, then this condition is satisfied.

If you are using a tcp connection a dos prompt (Telnet) or hyperterminal could be used to simulate the other end. But if you have 2 Siemens plc's that should communicate with each other you should use not use TCP connections. Instead you should use S7 connections or ISO on tcp connections. I think that you could use a third party software like LUCA from langner to simulate the other end but im not completly sure.