Running an AB Panelview through a Virtual Machine?

NathanA

I'm sure there are some protections on this, but I want to start moving some projects to Advanced HMI (not sure of all the limitations). I'm fairly familiar with VB, C# and SQL Server. My company is wanting to cut costs in how much these touchscreens cost. I'm not sure why panel views are so expensive when a person can get a full windows panel pc for a third of the cost (Full windows 10, and ssd ect).

Anyway, is there any possibility that a virtual machine of panel view can be created? I'm sure there are protections in place to stop this kind of thing, but any ideas would be appreciated.

I was thinking a might try and subvert some costs. Whenever a panel view fails, which is quite often. I was thinking of replacing it with a panel pc that has some virtual machine of an AB panel view. Then I won't have to go through the process of rebuilding apps via AdvancedHMI. I can just work on the projects that are being installed instead of updating legacy apps.

I can get Windows CE Embedded on a virtual machine but all of the Rockwell software I'm not so sure.

I dont think that will be possible unless you have a ME runtime license for a PC.

Now one option may be to use VNC. I believe some of the newer panelviews allow you to use VNC, so you could install VNC on your panel pc and maybe vnc to an existing panelview running the same app.

You can run a PVP program on any PC, but not for free (obviously).

You need to buy a FTView ME license, install it on the PC, and you're away. Not sure how much a license is, but that's how it's done.

Get to the cause of the problem and not just treating the symptom.

Panel Views don't fail often, we have made literally thousands of machines with them and failures can be, quite literally counted on 1 hand.

Why are they failing?

Get to the cause of the problem and not just treating the symptom.

Panel Views don't fail often, we have made literally thousands of machines with them and failures can be, quite literally counted on 1 hand.

Why are they failing?

I agree with this... I'm still running old panel views with V5 on them. Lots of them. They do seem to go forever.... PV800 Now, that's another story. I'm sitting at my desk now as I was called in this morning at 2:30AM to replace one that is only a few months old. Iv had a few of these fail now. Not the same quality as the traditional PanelViews!