1771-ijc vs 1771-ij

CaspianSage

I cannot find a manual for the 1771-IJC, only the IJ and IK which are in the same manual.

doing a search on Rockwell's Literature web site comes up empty for the IJC

Do any of you know the differences? I am a guessing the IJC is older???

Thank you!

The label for "Programmable Systems Division" suggests the module was built before 1985.

Durable stuff !

Yes and people wonder why I hang on to PLC 5s and Netware! I have two Netware Servers that have been running for several years without a re-boot.

If it ain't broke.....

The label for "Programmable Systems Division" suggests the module was built before 1985.

Durable stuff !

I think the stamped date code suggests week 32 of 1983. I saw a lot of similarly stamped codes from 1986 on some 1771 IO racks earlier this week. As I recall the rack and power supply models and revisions couldn't house PLC-5 processors, but didn't impact the remote racks from the PLC-2 to PLC-5 migration back in the day.

Compared to my luck with 1746 SLC, FLEX and POINT, it's too bad Rockwell never made Ethernet I/P 1771 racks. You could buy it, then forget about it for 30 years. I maintain that this stuff is explosion proof. Not that it won't prevent sparks in hazardous environments, just that it could withstand a direct hit from heavy artillery and keep going.

Last edited:
I think the stamped date code suggests week 32 of 1983.
Damn, that thing was built well before my parents even met! My dad was still a teenager!

I maintain that this stuff is explosion proof. Not that it won't prevent sparks in hazardous environments, just that it could withstand a direct hit from heavy artillery and keep going.
I had a similar conversation with an operator about the Siemens S5 platform once. He was bemoaning the lack of diagnostics and difficulty getting any upgrades done on an ancient tile machine that was running on a couple of S5 racks. He said that management didn't see the need to upgrade anything while it was still running just fine, and that he was tempted to "accidentally" drive a forklift at the panel one day. I just told him that his forklift might be too small to achieve the desired results, and did he have a container forklift lying around? :ROFLMAO:

I got a field service call for a PLC-2 at a local machine shop that I'd never heard of.

"No, that can't be right. There was never an Apple II connection for Allen-Bradley PLCs."

"Yes, I'm sure. I worked for Apple when I was a teenager, right here in the city. Is it really an Apple II ? OK. I guess I'll have to see it."

Yes, it was really an Apple II data loader for the PLC-2, on 5 1/4" floppy disks, written in 1986 in Portland, Oregon. The PLC-2 battery compartment had finally corroded enough that when power was lost, so was the program, and the ladder logic printout had been amended dozens of times over the years.

I wrote them a quote to upgrade, but they chose to scrap the machine tool instead.

PLC 2s

I got a field service call for a PLC-2 at a local machine shop that I'd never heard of.

"No, that can't be right. There was never an Apple II connection for Allen-Bradley PLCs."

"Yes, I'm sure. I worked for Apple when I was a teenager, right here in the city. Is it really an Apple II ? OK. I guess I'll have to see it."

Yes, it was really an Apple II data loader for the PLC-2, on 5 1/4" floppy disks, written in 1986 in Portland, Oregon. The PLC-2 battery compartment had finally corroded enough that when power was lost, so was the program, and the ladder logic printout had been amended dozens of times over the years.

I wrote them a quote to upgrade, but they chose to scrap the machine tool instead.

PLC 2s are still being used by a major defense contractor I worked for years ago.
We complain about AB Prices but Considering the life of these the price is not so bad.

They are more reliable than John Cameron Swayze's Timex - Takes a Liking and Keeps on Ticking...

https://youtu.be/9rMeZu94dBU