Quickpanel JR migration to Red Lion Kadet Question

Plutonius

I am in the process of migrating a Quickpanel Jr screen that has a few dead pixels resulting in hard to read numbers. The current PLC is a old GE 90/30 utilizing the SNP communication protocol. I never used a GE as I am a Allen Bradley boy but it looks rather straightforward. I plan on using a G307K2 Red Lion HMI.

So I have created my screen in Crimson 3.0 and everything looks good but I have some questions on data tags, Double integers and decimal places.

For Example:
On the Quickpanel JR there is a variable called RLUI10 which is the the R0010 register on the GE 90/30. They have it set up for a DINT on the PLC and the HMI. Now the tricky question is they are using decimal points on both the display and user input of this register. It is shown as 00.000 (2 before DP, 3 after DP) with a entry limit of 0.010 to 10.000. In Crimson 3.0 I set the tag as .LONG and I used the scale to floating point option so I could set my limits correctly with the decimal point. I am assuming out of the PLC that number could be a 00010 to a 10000 (Based on the HMI data limits) and the HMI will use the data format to place the decimal point. Then if the operator enters a 1.25 the HMI will send a 01250 to the PLC. Please let me know if I am on the right course.

I am new to a GE 90/30 and Red Lion as I normally use C-More touchscreens.

You are correct in your assumptions, keep in mind that the PLC variable %R10 as a DINT also use %R11 for it's 32 bits.
Most 90-30 CPUs also have 32 bit REAL, so verify the DINT data type for %R10.

I thankfully have a printed out copy of the ladder logic and indeed all the R registers are DINT. They convert the DINT to Real, do the math and then convert the Real back to DINT.

In Crimson 3.0 I set the tag as .LONG and I used the scale to floating point option so I could set my limits correctly with the decimal point. I am assuming out of the PLC that number could be a 00010 to a 10000 (Based on the HMI data limits) and the HMI will use the data format to place the decimal point. Then if the operator enters a 1.25 the HMI will send a 01250 to the PLC. Please let me know if I am on the right course.

Yes, the scaling at the tag properties will cause that to be applied in both directions (read and write) for any usage of that tag in Crimson.

Just a followup to finish up the thread.

My initial assumption on the scale to floating point was incorrect. The value was correct but the decimal place was not in the correct location.

I kept the data type as a signed integer with no data scaling. Under the Data Limits I kept my minimum and maximum values but just removed the decimal point. I had to do this anyway since without floating point scaling the software will not allow a floating point input which makes sense. I figured the Data Format would identify where the decimal point was to be placed. Under Data Format I kept the same decimal point format.

Worked like a champ! Communication was a breeze and worked perfectly from the get go.