usb to serial port adapter issue

wrapitpkg

I am trying to download a program into a HMI (a TP-200 type unit) which is pretty basic stuff.

I know the program is good, and used to download this programvinto the same HMI TP-200 units, but with my OLD laptop (WinXP & 9-pin serial port), that I do not have anymore . . unfortunately.

I upgraded and my new laptop runs on Win7 and it does not have a 9 pin serial port. So I bought a USB to serial 9-pin adapter, and try as hard as I can, I cannot get the program to download at all.

I have tried to make my own caable that crossed some of the communications wires, to see if they were wrong positioned for the USB side, but still to no avail. I also tried a NULL cable too, but that did not work. I can get the HMI when I download to switch to a balnk lite screen, like it wants to take the programlk but then it defaults to a timeout and stops the download from starting.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated . .
Thanks . . Mike

I've had trouble in the past if the old prgram software was looking com1. I had to go into my laptop config rename UBS to think it was com1.

Mike,

Look in your control panel and see what com port the USB to serial converter took. You will need to use that com port in your software. If that doesn't work, do a search here for "USB to Serial". There are many posts about it and the luck people have had with certain brands.

George

Thanks for your help.

My laptop did select a different com port than 1. But I did change it to the listed port on my laptop's device manager.

I will change my HMI to com 1 as well just to see, but it will probably not work, without changing the device manager location on my laptop.

I will see how to change my config (I don't know how to do this) to make the USB become com 1 instead of what it auto selected.

I do make sure that both the com port listed on my laptop and the oine for the HMI editor softwar are both pointed at the same com port.

Thanks,
Mike

I would stay away from comm one. See below for how to change the comm port number.

Device Manager.

devicemana.jpg

Thanks Mickey, I did convert the USB to serial cord and manually made it as Com 1 but with no luck. Still would not work.

If I use the device manager and hit "check for plug & plug items" it sends out a beep to my HMI but still does not work afterwards.

I am going to search "USB to Serial" on this format next . . to see other suggestions too . .
Thanks,
Mike

Search this forum, there are loads of posts about USB/Serial converters - some work, and some don't, there are recommendations for the one's that do work OK