indirect tags (intouch wonderware)

b_e33

i try to set constant value to indirect tag but it is not set
i write it in button script :

boaz.value=23;

(boaz is an indirect real tag name );

after i push the button the value of the indirect tag (boaz) still 0
why is that? can i write to indirect tags without enother memory tag?

The purpose of an indirect tag is to mirror the value of a memory or I/O tag. It is not intended to be treated as an ordinary tag.

You may dynamically assign different tags to your indirect tag, but you can't otherwise manipulate the value of an indirect tag that is unassigned. It will faithfully track the value of the tag to which it has been assigned, once you give it an assignment.

Last edited:
I think what Bit_Bucket_07 is saying is that the indirect tag must be assigned to a REAL tag first. For example:

Given a tag of type Memory Integer named intBoaz.

boaz.name = "intBoaz";
{ OR boaz.name = intBoaz.name; }
boaz = 10;

This will work, but keep in mind all you have done is assigned 10 to intBoaz by using the indirect tag to point to it.

Also, I think remember that the assignment will only last as long as the script is running, once the button script is completed the assignment ends.

iraiam, I don't believe that is the case. I use quickfunction scripts to setup indirect tag associations to be used by screens for displaying specific equipment information while using the indirect tags in the animation links.

For example, if you have 5 machines all with the similar tags and identical operation, you could easily make one screen animated with only indirect tagging and then based on a selection use a quickfunction script to associate the indirect tags to the appropriate machine's actual tags. When the script is done executing the screen will show the selected machine's information.

The indirect tag assignments are sticky and stay with the tag beyond the completion of the script.

OK, I must be confused with some other assignmnets, I know I had that problem before with batch data, I had to be sure to store the data to CSV before the script ended, otherwise my data was all zeros.