Simplified Security in Crimson...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
In order to access protected items, users must 'log in' with a username and password. This uses the full alphanumeric keypad. Most of my HMIs are the little G304K2s, and the keys end up being really tiny on that size screen. Very easy to hit the wrong key with fat fingers.

Most of my applications don't require that much security. The majority of my customers are happy with a simple numeric password to access 'protected' screens.

I have 'rolled my own' version for this type of customer. Attached is a Crimson 3 database I threw together, showing an example of how I currently do it.

Basic Operation:

• When the operator presses the "Access Protected Screen" from the Main screen, it goes to the Security screen. On the Security screen, there is a data entry button (Touch to Enter Password) that pops up the standard numeric keypad. This button is only visible when the value in "PassEntry" is not the correct password, so it disappears once the correct password is entered.

• If the operator enters an incorrect password, the "Incorrect Password" banner flashes (It becomes visible when "PassEntry" is > zero, yet not correct).

• If the operator enter the correct password, the data entry button disappears, and the "Continue" button becomes visible, which goes to the Protected screen when pressed.

• Whenever the operator returns to the Main screen (from the Security OR Protected screen), the "PassEntry" tag gets set back to zero.
Disadvantages:

• The 'password' is whatever value I decide (1234 in this example), and cannot be changed by the customer. This is easy enough to fix if needed. I could use a variable and have it editable on a 'change password' screen.

• When the password is entered, the numbers are visible, not hidden with asterisks. This makes it easy for someone to look over your shoulder and see the password you enter.
I know there are a handful of Crimson 'gurus' here (as well as the RedLion staff... (y)), so I'm just wondering if anyone has a better approach for this. Ideally, I'd like a numeric keypad to pop up directly on the Main screen, instead of using a separate Security screen like I do. Also, when the correct password is entered, it should just go straight to the Protected screen without needing an additional press of a "Continue" button.

🍻

-Eric

Last edited:
Not exactly, Tim. That would work if I let the user remained 'logged in', so I'd have to add a 'logout' button to zero the "PassEntry". I'd prefer it automatically log them out when they're done. Notice that I reset the "PassEntry" back to zero when returning to the Main screen (see the 'action' tab on the 'Return to' buttons).

Basically, an authorized user enters the password to gain access to the Protected screen, makes whatever adjustments are necessary, and then exits. Once they leave the Protected screen, they would have to re-enter the password to get back in.

I should add that my Protected screen is normally just a screen with a bunch of goto buttons for various machine parameter screens. They can jump around these screens without having to re-enter the password. These parameter screens are only protected by the fact that they can only get to them via the protected screen. When you leave a parameter screen, it returns to the protected screen.

Of course, if they walk away without exiting to the Main screen, someone else could make changes. I should probably think about adding a timeout if there is no activity after a period of time, returning to the Main screen.

🍻

-Eric

Last edited:
To solve the walking away problem right click the protected screen, click properties, set your timeout period, and put "GotoPage(Main)". You probably already know that but just in case.

How about this for the main screen prompt. Again I didn't test it, just brain storming

You're on to something this time!... (y)

I'm thinking I can combine your two Main screen buttons, and use the "On Entry Complete:" in your 'Prompt on main screen' button to automatically go to the Protected screen if the password is correct.

Something like this in the "On Entry Complete: action:

if (PassEntry == 1234)
{
GotoPage(Protected);
}
else
PassEntry = 0;

If the password's incorrect, simply re-zero the incorrect entry. I can probably expand upon this to also add some kind of indication when the password is incorrect.

I'll play around with it on Monday... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

Hi,

Not sure if the Redlion panels supports truetype fonts. If they do then you could install a "password font" (just google password font) and use this font. It will show a circle (or similar) for all entered characters, perfect in this case.

//Supporter

Brilliant idea, Supporter!... (y)

Although, I'm not sure if you can specify the font displayed in the keypad... o_O

Where do you see that, Tim? EDIT: Just saw the attachment 🙃

🍻

-Eric

Finally had a few minutes to try this on an actual G304K2. Works exactly the way I want now!... (y)

Thanks guys... :site:

🍻

-Eric

Can you post what you ended up with?
Attached is an example of the end result. I simply did all the things we discussed here.

The only minor thing I don't like is that the label text in the button gets inverted when you are entering the password. It would be nice if there were a 'none' selection in the 'Contents' of the 'Field Type'. Currently, you can only display data value, label text, or both. A 'none' choice would make it disappear. I 'solved' this by having the numeric entry keyboard popup over the text, so you don't see it inverted... ;)

🍻

-Eric