benifits and limitations

danielstacey

What are the benefits and limitations or different types of PLCs for specific applications?????

Yes I am new to PLCs and need your help!

New is obvious!

Yes I am new to PLCs and need your help!
but this in not an excuse for being that way for ever. You have to do all the work yourself, no one will ever do it for you. So, to start with, you need to read this. After you know what this forum is about then you need to read this and you will be way farther ahead than you are now.

What are the benefits and limitations or different types of PLCs for specific applications?????
is never a good question, here or any place that I know of. This is way to broad and ambiguous as you will find as you learn about PLCs.

But, welcome to this forum and let me say that you are in one of the best places to learn besides the obvious of actually doing this kind of work. Read a lot of previous posts, learn how to use this forum and there are many here who can answer your specific quesitons and offer help if you are working on something and need it.

Last edited:
Unitary PLCs are particularly well suited for brick making machinery.

Modular PLCs are at their best when applied to the automation of processes that produce components that can be assembled in many different ways.

Rack-mounted PLCs facilitate the automation of machines and processes frequently found in the torture industries.

danielstacey, welcome to the world of PLCs. Your question is very broad and needs to be sharpened a bit to your specific need and then someone here can help you.

A PLC is a PLC is a PLC. No matter if it says Omron, AB, Siemens, or a few dozen more brands on the front they are basically the same at the core of what they do. Some use Intel, Motorola, some use other RISC based processors, some use commercial OS and others use custom developed OS, but they all use some type of RTOS at the core.

A PLC is best used for discrete (on/off) control no matter who's PLC it is. Some PLCs do process application better, but for true process applications it is best handled by a DCS system.

PLCs come in basically three sizes, small, medium, and large. The best fit to which PLC is determined by the application you need one for. Stand alone, or networked also determines which PLCs you can use. Motion cards, basic modules, and other specialty cards also determine which PLC you can use.

As for who's PLC to use? Well that is a whole new subject, and being that I work for the world wide market leader in PLCs I can be a little biased to say which brand works best, but it really depends on your needs, likes, and local support. Do your research and study different resources available on the web and in hard copy to learn more about PLCs and their pros/cons. Good Luck

Michael

i just dont get it

i am a student in the uk and im just amazed at how much abuse you give to some one wanting a little help. i am also doing a plc course and am sifting through loads of **** information that i dont really need because i dont really know where to look. and dont try to be smart arses and tell me to **** off to the libary cause ive already been. i posted a few things that i found humours. i just cant believe your all so ****ing gay. i dont wanna learn anymore plc stuff, ill probily end up a bigger **** sucker than all you stuck up bitches already are

Don't cry

Kelly, why are you curled up on the floor in the fetal position sucking your thumb? Here, have a hankie - your nose is starting to run.

It's obvious you don't want to learn - plcs or anything else. There are no silver platters in the real world.

Danielstacey is obviously new, as he states, but didn't say anything about not being able to find anything when he did a search - see above.

As you've seen before, and ought to know by now, nothing is free (most of the time). State what you've done/tried and be specific as possible. There is a lot of potential help here.

minimadkelly,

your post is totally off the mark. (n)

Not only do you use foul language, but you have totally missed that of the four posts that have responded before you, the two politely tells the thread starter that he has to put in some effort first, THEN he can attract some help.
"im just amazed at how much abuse you give to some one wanting a little help". What do you expect ? That people should write a lenghty article based on such an incredible vague question ?
The truth is that people on this forum will help everyone (students too) for no other reward than the pleasure of helping someone out. That "someone" just have to show some effort.

The two other responders just posted some benign humour. If you cant take it ... well you know what you can do !