Migrating 1771-DB to MVI56-BAS basic module

Dear All,

Any one has experienced migrating the 1771-DB to MVI56-BAS basic module while upgrading control system from PLC5 to ControlLogix5000 platform ?
How to backup or transfer the existing basic program from 1771-DB to MVI56-BAS module ?
What the programming software should we have to upload/download the basic program from/into basic module ?

Endang

Any Resolution

Hi I know this is an old thread, and there are no answers. But I am going through the same process now, and wondering if you have any information you could share with me.

Many Thanks

MK

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

I won't scold you for resurrecting an old thread, since it's not long and you actually have the same challenge with the same products.

The 1771-DB is a little BASIC52 computer with an API for access to the backplane and to the serial ports.

The 1756-MVI modules are little x386 system-on-chip computers running DOS and with an API for that backplane and the serial ports.

The APIs are different, and not perfectly equivalent. I'm not aware of any published "here's how CALL X in the old modules can be implemented in the new modules".

But to start out you do the same thing: connect to the console port, interrupt the execution of the program, and request a LIST of the program. There is no offline compiler or operating system access to the file system.

All that's done with an ordinary serial terminal program. The classic is Windows Terminal or Hyperterm, but I prefer RealTerm.

RA Knowledgebase Article 16251 summarizes the jumpers, wiring, serial speed/framing, and commands (TechConnect Required). All that info is also in the 1771-DB User Manual.

The 1771-DB had significant hardware differences between Series A and Series B, so be sure you know which one you're looking at before you follow directions.