OT - Tips on Efficiency

Jimmie_Ohio

This is a little bit off of the topic of PLCs, but I thought it would be fun and helpful to pass along to others what I’ve learned and acquired that makes me efficient and effective as a PLC controls guy, especially on the road. Most of these tips are related to what I have put on my computer in addition to the programming software that I need to do my job. Hopefully you all can add and exchange additional tips. Some of you may even be surprised to find what I list, especially since the best news is it’s all free.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for any company listed below. If I use a company’s name, it’s only because I happen to use them. There are many other companies offering what I describe below. Please don’t private message me for more information. Just see Item H4 (Google) below.

A) Get the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader at: www.adobe.com

I found out by accident that I had an old version which read okay, but a newer version supported printing in larger than 8 ½” by 11”. Who knows what enhancements the latest version contains, so you may as well stay current.

B) Get a free method of generating PDF files. These are what are read by Adobe Acrobat Reader (see above). Of course you can buy Adobe Acrobat, but I got a free program called CutePDF. Others are out there for free, too.

It is good to generate PDF’s for many common documents and here are a few examples why:

1) You write a quote in Microsoft Word and email the .doc file to your company’s salesman. He opens it, modifies it, and your company gets the order. You’re not only stuck with it, but you have no idea what got changed. At least if it’s a PDF, you force the person who modifies it to make a new document. (Unless, of course, he has a method of editing the PDF.)

2) You make a drawing in AutoCAD. You email it to someone. Now you just gave him the blocks and other tools he can copy and use himself for free, not to mention the ability to modify it. All from your sweat and your company’s money.

3) You make a drawing in AutoCAD. You email it to someone. They can’t open it because they have an incompatible version of AutoCAD or no way to view AutoCAD drawings at all.

C) Get a CAD Drawing Viewer. There are several out there for free. This way, you can look at a drawing your engineering manager sends you in .dwg format when you are out in the field without having to have a full AutoCAD license on your laptop.

D) Get a spreadsheet viewer, if your laptop doesn’t have Microsoft Excel or Office. There are several out there for free. I’m amazed at how many companies generate spreadsheets for everything from phone directories to wire lists for electrical installations.

E) Get a PowerPoint viewer, if your laptop doesn’t have Microsoft PowerPoint or Office. There are several out there for free. I’m amazed at how many companies generate important documents in this format, also. Salesmen especially like this because they have important information from their presentations that eventually become useful. (Don’t laugh.)

F) Get a calculator on your computer. Here again, there are several out there for free. I always seem to have a weird parameter to calculate. This saves me having to bring my regular handheld calculator out in the field if I may only need it occasionally. Be sure to download the one that has the functions you need. A decent calculator should also be able to do conversions of units and BCD to hex, etc. Huge timesaver.

G) Get a way of loading digital photos into your computer. This includes software and hardware, for example cables or card readers. This will vary wildly by computer and camera, of course. I always have to take pictures of things to email back to my company or a vendor. I take pictures showing everything from bad field wiring by others to faulty or damaged components.

H) Shortcuts:
Put shortcuts on your computer for the following (at least what applies to you):

1) Shipping company’s websites. You’re out in the field and a vendor sends you a replacement part. It sure is nice to have the website handy to enter the tracking number. I have UPS, FedEx, the US Postal Service, and several motor freight companies that my company uses. (Yes, some parts can get heavy.)

2) Travel. This can be your favorite travel site, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.
I also have separate shortcuts for the individual airlines, auto rental, and hotel companies that I use. This is faster than going to the travel site for last minute reservations or changes. For extra convenience, be sure to program these guy’s numbers on your cell phones.

3) Mapquest – I’ve been everywhere. My experience is that the people that can get to work in their sleep have no clue how to give decent directions to a stranger. Double check them using Mapquest.

4) Google or your favorite search engine – This is the most important website to me ever! I use the heck out of it to find information about everything. Get creative with keywords and use all of the options available to filter using “Advanced Search”.

5) Vendor’s websites – Customize this to the ones you use. For example, Allen-Bradley has a great website in which you can download any manual for free (in PDF format – see above) Many vendors give you access to CAD drawings. I use www.hoffamnonline.com to get every detail of the electrical enclosure I’m using. That way, I know ahead of time that the pushbutton I drew near the centerline of the door will hit a door stiffener. For extra convenience, be sure to program these guy’s numbers on your cell phones. Local distributors. too.

6) Language Translation - Send documents to or receive them from foreign countries? I have the Babel Fish language translation website as a shortcut. It is at www.world.altavista.com Not that I wasted two years taking high school German, but I always seem to need Spanish or French.

That's a pretty good list, Jimmie... (y)

I'll add another for those who are in and out of the office (like me). In the past, I often arrived at a customer only to realize the info I need is on my desktop PC back at the shop... 🙃

Easy solution... Synchronize your desktop and laptop, and make it so it's not up to YOU to remember to do it. There are others out there, but Microsoft's 'Synchronize' seems to work just fine.

I have all my customer folders, plus my 'information' folder, which contains ALL the PDF's (manuals, catalogs, etc.) I've collected, synchronized on my desktop and laptop, and it does this automatically.

Now I always have everything I need on the road (AND it's up-to-date!), even when an internet connection is unavailable... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

I would add this to the list.

One thing I always take with me when going to a customer site is a small folding camping stool. It fits easily into my toolbag and has saved me from the backache I used to get crouching in front of laptop while diagnosing machine faults.