Modicon M340 Modbus TCP and Modbus Serial?

I'm looking to purchase an M340, and need it to communicate over Modbus TCP to several devices and Modbus serial to a few others.

First off, this seems like standard operating procedure, but I wanted to verify that this is in fact possible before making the time/money investment.

Secondly, when doing this, from a programming standpoint does it look as if it's all one Modbus network? For instance, would I use the DATA_EXCHG function block to issue commands over both, the only difference being that I reference the devices independently by their Modbus ID?

Thanks in advance for your help.

First off, this seems like standard operating procedure, but I wanted to verify that this is in fact possible before making the time/money investment
Yes it is possible

Secondly, when doing this, from a programming standpoint does it look as if it's all one Modbus network? For instance, would I use the DATA_EXCHG function block to issue commands over both, the only difference being that I reference the devices independently by their Modbus ID?
For both ModbusTCP and Modbus serial (assuming the M340 is to be the master) you would use the Read_Var and Write_Var functions. The Addm function is used to generate the address.
This is all available on the built in ports on the higher level M340, however I would look at using a NOE module for the ModbusTCP. The NOE module will give you access to a lot more functionality (DHCP server, IO scanner - just fill out a table to setup all your comms, Global data, Messaging, Email notification, FDR - faulty device replacement)

hope this helps
Geoff