Micrologix 1400 analog input or 1762-IF4

eccan

Supporting Member
Hello All

I have an application using a ML 1400 with 4 analog inputs and a 1762-IF4 expansion card with 4 analog inputs.

I have 6 analog inputs that will be used for LVDT's getting scaled in the PLC for a reference value on the HMI (speed & resolution is not critical) while a 7th analog input will be coming from a sonar sensor.

I want this sonar sensor signal as accurate as possible.

Which analog input do you think would provide faster response and higher accuracy for this sonar sensor signal? The ML1400 analog inputs are 12 bit, but the filters can be adjusted from 10 to 250 Hz, while the 1762-IF4 card has 15 bit resolution, with filters of 50 or 60 Hz.

Thanks

Just remember that there is a difference between resolution and accuracy. A 12 bit analog input provides resolution of 0.02% (1 part out of 4095). It is doubtful if the accuracy of your transmitter exceeds 0.1% (1 part out of 1000). Therefore a higher resolution analog input card won't really give you a more accurate reading, since you are limited by the accuracy of transmitter. Showing inaccurate data to 5 decimal places is a bit like polishing a turd.

Filters are an entirely differnet thing. They are high/low pass filters that intended to eliminate signal influence from EMI/RFI. On 4-20 mA signals this isn't as important as it is on things like thermocouples and mV signals. Most of the time the EMI/RFI is induced by AC power, which will be 60 Hz in the US.

You could use a Spectrum Controls 1762sc-IF8U. It has 16 bit resolution and can be used for voltage, current, and thermocouple inputs. It also gets you 8 points in a single card. They aren't quite as easy to set up as an AB card, but its still fairly easy.