Level switches for sewage tanks

On the control systems we build for sewage, we supply a TE/Measurement Specialties KPSI 750 submersible level transmitter backed up by high and low float switches. We also include a weight/suspension kit and a junction box for the surge protector and bellows.

This is good advice. I have an application personally right now in a lift station that foam seems to be throwing it off. How do you recommend handling a problem like that? Do you use float backup in case something makes the sensor inaccurate?

I always want a low-low cutoff float switch to protect the pump(s). I don't think there is a good answer to foam with ultrasonics. Some manufacturers (I think Siemens but it has been a while) claim to be able to "see through" foam but I'm a skeptic.

+1 for Vega radars. They just released a new low cost model for under $1000. Foam shouldn't be an issue.

A pressure sensor solves any problems with (some limited amount of) foam, but it still needs to be immune to solids. So some kind of diaphragm open to the environment i.e. no small openings between the sensor outer shell and the diaphragm.

I had a friend talk to me about this. The project was to minimize overall long-term cost of pumping out a sewage holding tank in a lake community by automating the monitoring of the actual level instead of scheduling regular pump-outs based on time. The cost of a pump-out was fixed and independent of the amount pumped out, so the optimal strategy is to wait until the tank is near full before getting it pumped out. I think he already had an enclosed pressure sensor in service.