OPC Server Migration Off of Dead Computer's HDD

AlexDB

Hey everyone,
I ran into a problem with my computer a couple months ago where it shut down and would not boot. I chased the problem down to some faulty RAM sticks and a bad PSU. Since then, everything was running fine besides some comm problems that I fixed thanks to the help from the lovely people on this forum. However, yesterday I ran into the same problem except that the RAM sticks were not bad. The entire motherboard and CPU fried themselves. :mad:

I got another computer set up and running with RSLinx v2.40, RSLogix 5000 v11.11, and RSView32 v6.30. I set up the communication path to the PLC via Ethernet/IP. I also installed TrendX to get my HMI up and running.

My problem is that when I load up the HMI, I get a bunch of errors regarding the OPC server and that there is a communication error with the tag database.

My question is this: I have access to the files from the old hard drive, so is there a way that I can simply migrate my Tag Database over from it? Or do I have to configure the entire OPC server from scratch?

Thanks for the help,
Alex

It sounds like the OPC Topic configuration in RSLinx might not know where to find the symbol database. You can check these values in the GUI or examine some registry values. The following key will have subkeys that pair up hardware paths and ACD files.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\HarmonyPath​
This next key will have OPC topic names as subkeys. For each topic, examine the values for HarmonyPath, Target, and SymbolDatabase. Verify SymbolDatabase points to a valid file, like an ACD file.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Project\Default​
I only work with emulators rather than actual hardware, so take my advice lightly.