Cabinet Design Software

JohnJPhillips

Hi everyone,

I recently took a new role which will require me to do more cabinet design from scratch, or retrofitting old controls with new ones.

I'm wondering what design tools everyone uses. I grabbed a copy of autocad, but I'm hearing that there might be other tools to consider.

Any input from the resident geniuses would be appreciated!

I would be interested to hear other's results as well.

I've looked into a few applications:

PC Schematic

Pros:
This software is really pretty great. I love many things about it. The fact that it is stored in the C directory and you can copy/paste the program for backups is awesome. I also love the way they handle the component database and give you available contacts/etc.
Very flexible when it comes to referencing - you can make almost any system work.

Cons:
It's metric. It says 'inch' but it is only a conversion to 2 decimals of metric. So, for instance, you can't get 1/8 of an inch increments, it becomes .13. Not a deal breaker, but since I live in the US and I deal in inches, very annoying.
It also has a serious lack of JIC schematic symbols. If you use those regularly, you'll spend a chunk of time making symbols that work well.

Radica Electra

Pros:
Really easy to use. Has (nearly) every symbol you can think of. You won't spend a ton of time making any symbols.
Does both metric and imperial.
Has a ladder-based symbols.
Their support is excellent.

Cons:
At times, almost too simple. A little locked-in to they way it looks. You CAN re-adjust symbols and the like, but your reports \ etc are pretty much locked into doing things their way.
Also - the price skyrocketed with the new version. $2400 for a perpetual, and $80/month subscription.
It's a plug-in for Visio (32 bit at that)

Elwin 3xM
Pros:
Super affordable - about $40 USD.
Great database, full IEC symbol set. Most of what you need.

Cons:
Metric only.
No JIC symbols - you will create your own.
Is fairly flexible when it comes to references, but not complete.

Eplan:

Pros:
It is great to use

Cons:
It is way to cost prohibitive. Not realistic for anyone unless the company is footing the bill and decides to go that way. Ask for a quote before you bother looking into it and decide if it is worth $12K+

Great suggestions, thank you guys.

Autodesk is nice because you can use a student account for free software while you are learning it. Probably use that a little and see how it feels.

I've been using AutoCAD Electrical since its on the company's dime, as a side note if you have access to a wide format printer its nice to print your layout and transfer punch it to your sub-plate, no measuring required.

Autocad Electrical
I just wish that Autodesk had their own version of ePlan Portal.

It’s also helpful to try to recreate current electrical schematics you already have. I would also start out with Autocads NFPA library instead of jic. From what I have read, the jic is deprecated.

Solidworks + Solidworks Electrical Schematic + Solidworks Electrical 3D, allows you to tie the 3d model directly to your schematics and do synchronized checks on parts., adjust boms etc. It will even do the wiring for you and calculate duct fill, bends, wire lengths, etc.

If you want a free AutoCad clone to learn on, try NanoCad. We use the paid version which compares to AutoCad Lite. I do small panels and most are repeats and not complicated, so Autode$k software wasn't justifiable for us. NanoCad supports dwg file types, autolisp, same command line etc., but as far as I know, there is not an Electrical version. For someone who wants to train themselves or practice AutoCAD basics, NanoCad would be a good fit.

At a previous job, we had AutoCAD Electrical, and I found out pretty quickly that there was enough there that I needed some training to understand how to properly use it. Most of my work there was mods to others' work, and I never had access to their sheet sets or standards which made it difficult or impossible to take advantage of the time saving features of Electrical.

another one also free is QElectrotech.
Originally french, however available in many languages.
No database, however many symbols, and very easy to use.
goto QElectrotech.org