PowerFlex 525's and using the Safe-Torque circuit.What color wire would you suggest?

Good Morning ,

I'm building a control panel with PowerFlex 525 drives. I have black wire for the 480 vac , red for 110 vac , blue for 24 vdc and blue/white for 24 vdc common . I would like to use a special color for the PowerFlex 525 "Safe-Torque" circuit , so the circuit will stand out .

What color would you suggest ? I was thinking yellow , but I believe that is for external circuits .

Thanks so much in advance.

Are you just using a relay for the torque off or are you sending a signal?

The STO pin is 24VDC - the jumper usually just ties it high.

I've always used blue for the wiring.

Blue for the +24V, White-Blue for GND if I source from a safety controller.

I use Blue with a Red trace
That way I know that it is 24VDC (Blue) and part of the safety Circuit (Red Trace)
And still label the wires
Yellow is for Panel interconnect from panel to panel

Last edited:
Some customers of ours will use Orange with a stripe (black stripe - 480, red stripe 120, blue stripe 24) for special circuits.

For working on some conveyor lines built by Chemcut I always have purple wire handy. They used purple for all their DC motor leads in the panels and to the drives.

On other panels I use it for special signals.

24VDC, blue and blue/white combo. Label wires appropriately. Purple is used for jumper type wires.

I know one company that uses black for everything, and they are a Tier 1. Fat chance of seeing a wire marker.

Years ago I ran across a machine wired in Australia. Stop loops were wired in pink. Stands out like the proverbial sore thumb. I've been using it ever since. Aside from the snickers from our wire pullers it makes tracing safety cct's a breeze.

Years ago I ran across a machine wired in Australia. Stop loops were wired in pink. Stands out like the proverbial sore thumb. I've been using it ever since. Aside from the snickers from our wire pullers it makes tracing safety cct's a breeze.

They are trying to get us Pink Callaway Golf Shirts... One guy is wearing the Purple shirts every day. I have one black one... Purple test guy want's Pink in the wardrobe???

Come on, Pink and Purple do not color coordinate with Orange.

Well, unless you are a chick in the Orange car...

Last edited: