WinCC and SQL Server Access

Tomo453

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am new to WinCC and have limited experience with SQL servers and databases, but I have been presented with a problem with the overwriting of stored recipes on a production line. I would preface this question by saying that the process must be quite deliberate in that the HMI requires a separate affirmation with a warning that the data is about to be overwritten. (this is not enough for my bosses) We need the operators to be able to load recipes, make temporary changes to the recipes, but NOT be able to overwrite the recipe archived in the database. I attempted to control access via the user administration in WinCC, but no combination of configured authorizations produced the desired results. Once a user is given access to the database that user has all permissions. If the desired data set is uploaded to a temporary file that can be modified and that file is used to write the tags to the controllers, can a user then be denied permission to update the data set permanently stored in the database? That is overwriting the archived table or recipe needs to be prevented. There would then need to be a separate user that would be granted the permission to overwrite or save over the stored recipe. Can this be done through the WinCC software or does the database coding need to be modified (via DENY, EXECUTE, UPDATE etc instructions) for given users?