Questions regarding loading a tag database in Wonderware

EMS

I am trying to load a new tag database into a Wonderware application. When I use DBload I get an instp error. Wonderware "help" states that the application is corrupted. They have directions on recovering a corrupted application but I must be dense because I don't get their instructions.

I originally did a DBdump of the tagdata base from the application, made a copy and renamed the original tag database to ****_old. The reason I did this is because I needed to copy some tags from another database into the one that was dumped from the application. I then wanted to DBload the modified DB into the application so the new windows I want to add would see their associated tags.

However, I keep getting the error when I try to DBload the modified DB. Wonderware goes on about creating a new directory and then creating a new application. By "directory" do they mean an empty folder in the same location as the orginal "corrupted" application? In my case, the desktop.

They also state to DBdump to the legacy application's directory. However, I need to get new tags into the old database without adding tags that I don't want which is why I was cutting and pasting from another database.

I need to get a couple of new windows into the program but I don't want to spend hours redefining tags if I don't need to.

How would I go about recovering this application and getting a new database with my modifications into it? Any help would be appreciated.

I also don't get how this application is supposedly corrupted. I have been using it and I have not had any freeze ups or odd behavior. It appears to work just fine.

Really WW is really getting to be annoying. I mean what kind of program is it when the applications a person creates can be corrupted just by copying from one location to another?

I have successfully modified WW Tag Database but it can be tricky. You must make sure you have the Alarm Group created for each tag that is an alarm and assigned to that group. If not it will not load and cause an error.

Also you must have the "topic" or what they call the IOAccess name for each new tag included in the modified database which you are trying to load.

I always uncheck the "Group" output by types" checkbox when I do this. The reason is that my tags are then grouped according to equipment/unit names which makes it easier for me to create or duplicate new tags for similar equipment such as pumps and conveyors.

I am curious if you can load the unmodified DB into a new application with no errors. If so, this tells you that you are missing something in your modified DB. I always us Excel and modify the csv file and leave no blank lines as this also halts the load.

I will be glad to help if I can. I will watch the forum for questions you may have.

Have you tried reloading the database (DBLoad) immediately after you used "DBDump"?
Do the dump, then open and change first line :)mode=?) from "ask" to to "replace", then save.
Can you reload that database?
There may also be a corrupt tag name. I have had programmers use tag names with illegal characters that will not load.
Are you getting a "line error" in log viewer?