Ethernet/IP Problem

Briankr32

I set up 30 Siemens G120 VFDs for Ethernet/IP communication, but when I configured the generic Ethernet/IP modules in RSLogix, I received several communication faults. I had to inhibit all but 5 modules due to communication faults. The VFDs are configured identically, exept for the IP addresses, but they are all on the same subnet. I double checked the configuration of the modules in RSLogix, and they are addressed correctly. I can successfully ping every node, but RSLinx only shows 5 of the VFDs when I browse the nodes. What gives?

Have you confirmed that they are all actually E/IP? Vendors have sent me the wrong parts before. Are they all the same firmware version?

What's the error message and error code you're getting in RSLogix 5000?

As well as making sure they're the correct part as Gomez suggested, make sure that the VFD ethernet interface is correctly set up as well - I've beaten my head against a wall for hours before with exactly your symptoms. I eventually took a wireshark trace and uploaded it here, and the indubitable Ken Roach pointed out that the device wasn't responding to Ethernet/IP connection requests. Turns out I had forgotten to set the DIP switch which changed the device from Profinet comms to Ethernet/IP comms.

It looks like the ones showing up in the RSWho browse are the ones that also have good I/O connections; I can't be sure but it looks like the 22nd one in the list has a good connection, and the first drive in the browse is 192.168.0.122.

So it could be as ASF suggested that those are the only ones with EtherNet/IP properly enabled.

I use two free network tools for stuff like this: TCPING and Angry IP Scanner.

Both let you query a device using a TCP connection instead of the blunt instrument of an ordinary ICMP PING.

EtherNet/IP devices will always allow a TCP connection request on Port 44818. If a device doesn't answer on TCP Port 44818, then it doesn't have an EtherNet/IP protocol stack running.

I usually also check for TCP Port 502 (Modbus TCP) and TCP Port 34964 for ProfiNet RPC (Profinet doesn't really use TCP for IO, so I'm less familiar with how effective that is).

I have seen some devices that can only establish one messaging connection. This was common in low-powered DeviceNet sensors, but I've seen it in EtherNet/IP as well.

So if you have a PLC trying to connect to it but it hasn't established a cyclic I/O connection yet (like it's got a mismatch or configuration issue), the device is blind to PC-based configuration tools.

See if the RSLinx browse changes when you disconnect the ControlLogix from the network.

I just realized I never followed this up with my solution. I had configured the VFD settings with STARTER, and I realized that most of the VFDs weren't setup for Ethernet/IP. I never could figure out what I was doing wrong with STARTER, but I configured each VFD for Ethernet/IP using the BOP, and that fixed the issue.

Last edited: