FANUC beginner questions

dougmo52

I have downloaded some pdfs from GE. One is an instruction set reference, another a communications reference. I am a software engineer, so I am interested in knowing something about the output file format generated by GE development tools to be downloaded to the PLC. In fact, a short sample file from a simple program would be great.

I'm wondering if the IDEs generate a text file of instructions that are compiled on the fly by the PLC during download, or if the program image was compiled on the PC and downloaded as a binary file.

I'm wondering if the IDEs generate a text file of instructions that are compiled on the fly by the PLC during download, or if the program image was compiled on the PC and downloaded as a binary file.
Compiled in the PC before download.
Other than curiosity, there's no compelling need to know details like that in order to use the tools. As you're trying to learn how to work with PLCs, be careful you don't get bogged down in the details of what's going on under the hood.
Furthermore, remember that the PLC is only one tool in the array of things you need to understand to develop a control system. If you don't understand the operation of a pneumatic solenoid valve you'll have a more difficult time writing a program to control one. You can substitute any number of devices instead of "pneumatic solenoid valve".

Last edited: