Micrologix 1400 and RSLinx 2.54

Tharon

I've been using RSLinx 2.54 ever since we started using the Micrologix 1400. Today I installed a ML1400 on an existing Ethernet IP Network (all ML1100s previously), and downloaded my program to the processor over the Serial connection to start.

Now RSLinx is telling me that the ML1400 (1766 L32BWAA) is an unrecognized device, but it knows that it is a 1766-L32BWAA B/10.00, when I view the network over Ethernet/IP. This is the first ML1400 I've tried to program/monitor over Ethernet, usually just use the Serial connection.

I'm currently downloading RSLinx 2.57, will take about an hour, but I was just curious if this is the solution. Seems odd that the Serial connection would recognize the processor but the Ethernet connection wouldn't.

(My TechConnect contract is only 8-5, so I can't call them today).

Just a WAG but what about the EDS file?

I didn't know where to look on the AB Website to find it, and under downloads for the ML1400, RSLinx 2.57 was right there.

I just noticed something. It says in RSlinx:
1766-L32BWAA B/10.00

I don't think Revision B exists on the ML1400... that's odd.

I have rebooted my computer and checked the ethernet connections, but I haven't restarted the processor yet. I probably should cycle power on it once and see.

Edit:
False alarm. It's actually Series B, not Rev B.

Edit2:
Updating RSLinx seems to have worked. It's odd that the Serial connection worked, but not the Ethernet. I assumed that the EDS for the ML1400 would contain both, not one or the other. (So either both or neither would work).

Last edited:
I also found out where on the website the EDS files were stored. I was trying to find it through the Micrologix 1400 page, under Software and Firmware. But it is in an entirely separate category, from the main page clicking "Tools and Resources" will lead you to the EDS finder.

When you start to download the program, turn off the automatic ip address assignment bit in the configuration ( i don't have the laptop right now). When you download the program through the serial port, you establish the program basics.

You then reboot the plc and run "BOOTP" from your laptop.
Bootp will then work its magic and give you the mac address of the processor. you then can assign the ip address to the plc.

rslinx will then recognize the plc through the ethernet.

that's what i had to do 2 months ago.

regards,
james

RA quietly rolled out MicroLogix 1400 Series B this month. Among the enhancements I've seen is support for Modbus/TCP on the Ethernet port, so I'm not surprised there's all-new Ethernet firmware including a new EDS file.

New features in Series B: Knowledgebase Article ID 158069
Series A firmware support: Knowledgebase Article ID 115431

Also, the MicroLogix EDS files might have a wandering path from the MicroLogix product page, but they are also on the main RA EDS server with all other EDS files:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

Just enter "EtherNet/IP" as the network and "1766" as the part number and both the Series A (v1) and Series B (v2) files will appear in the search results.