Need to add Ethernet IP Remote I/O modules to a MicroLogix 1100:

piscis

I have been told you cannot control any remote I/O using the Ethernet port on a MicroLogix 1100. Is this true?

Does anyone knows which components will I need to add at least 40 remote PNP (24vdc) inputs and 30 remote Relay outputs to this PLC and still being able to control all of them using the Ethernet IP protocol? Should I use a 1761-NET-ENI?

The distance between the PLC and the remote I/O is approximately 75 feet.

Thanks for all your answers.

I could be wrong, but I believe the ML1100 does not support any type of remote I/O.
If you want Ethernet I/O you will have to remove the micrologix, and go with a Compact logix PLC.

One way would be to purchase a 2nd ML1100 and have the two processors message back and forth.

A NET-ENI cannot do Ethernet/IP I/O control, just messaging. Also no Remote I/O with an 1100.

I have never tried it, but I have heard you can message to the I/O and control it that way. I would not consider controlling I/O in that manner. If you have not already purchased the Micro then you might want to consider the Compact Logix L2x block. It has an Ethernet I/P comm port and can control and monitor remote I/O and is pretty cost effective. You will have to have RSLogix5000 to program. The compact version of that software is also cost effective, but I guess it all does kind of add up to get started...

Russell