Eaton easy512-dc-rc setup for conveyer noobie questions

freakaftr8

hello all brand new to this forum and also new to PLC programming.

here's my dilemma,

I am installing a PLC and a VFD Drive unit into a conveyor system that is going to use nozzles to spray an object after it finds the object in a laser window.

essentially the items that I have purchased is the Eaton plc also a Automation direct VFD Drive, two photosensors and spray nozzle and a pump 24v controlled.

the way that this platform is going to work is the motor will start running as the PLC gives the signal to turn on the VFD once the conveyor track starts moving at a set speed from the VFD there is a laser sensor or proximity sensor if you will the item is placed on the conveyor amd the item is going to come into the window of the first sensor and hence that will turn on the spray jet that is placed after the sensor this is going to spray the item that's traveling down the conveyor and I now have to fix a time delay for the spray jet to turn off until the next item comes into the proximity sensors eye.
now this being said there is one more proximity sensor placed at the end of the conveyor this sensor is going to turn off the track from moving until the object is removed from the track. The reason this is there is so the object does not fall off the end of the track if nobody is over there to pick it up. Both of these proximity sensors are eaten made in both the same model.

the other items that will be attached to this unit are 2 emergency stop switches and 1 switch with two buttons in it for a two mode system. first mode is continuous loop utilizing all the sensors to notice when the object is that the end of the track to stop the track. The other button is to continuous feed ignoring the last sensor for a stop operation.

I have a laptop with USB cable and software for the PLC but I have never written anything like this before ladder logic. Could somebody direct me or possibly write up a sketch of a quick and dirty ladder that would make the system operate the way I would want it to?

if you need any other information just let me know I have everything on hand. Thank you very much

The easy smart relay is not safety rated , therefor you will need an emergency stop relay . you will also need to do a risk assessment on this process to determine the safety design in hard wiring . ( This would take account of sprayed fluid hazards such as flammability and hazards to personnel )
This needs to be sorted before starting a program design .
The other thing you might need is a top button to end the process or change the mode select buttons to 3 way center-off to stop the process. It is not good practice to use the E-stops for normal stopping.
Paul

I plan on using the emergency stop switch is tied together 2 stop the operation of the controller wherever it may set in program. I thought about tying the emergency stop switch is into a relay that would kill the power to the controller I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not but the third button for stop operation is a good idea but I'm at the point right now where I don't know how to program this thing at all to do anything I however kind of have the grasp of the electrical diagram just need to make sure that my inputs and outputs are proper. I purchased some solid state relays for the spray jets to turn on and off via the controller. they are 24 volt dc output 120 volt input I believe

In order to start this process I need to get the VFD wired to the plc through a 0-20 ma signal. Is this signal coming from q1 on plc? There will be two speeds and the first item on the track will start up the spray jet. This Is A Close Circuit of q2 I imagine. Q2 will be the proximity sensor 1. Them a timer will be initiated. Them timer will turn off spray jet. Them item will reach end of track where proximity sensor 2 I'm assuming wired to q3 will stop all operation. When proximity sensor 2 goes open again process will resume. The other speed will essentially do the same operation just faster moving track. I want to accomplish this by adding a 2nd program from the PC to the plc. The mode 2 operation will just keep the track moving spraying items being picked up by proximity sensor 1 and ignoring proximity sensor 2 to keep track moving.
Hopefully this makes sense.

I don't see any analog outputs in the manual for this PLC. Unless you need to variably control the motor speed from the PLC I suggest that you use two speed pots and switch between them using non-solid-state relays.
Have you read the manual at all? The inputs are labeled I1 ... I12. The outputs are Q1 ... Q8.

Your emergency stop should NOT kill the power to the CPU of the PLC but should remove power from the outputs of the PLC as well as any potentially dangerous devices such as the VFD. Of course, you'll need to read the VFD manual to see the suggested method of powering it off using safety circuit.

So, you'll need a power on circuit using non-solid-state relays / safety relays and e-stop functionality as pal mentioned.

As danatomega says the 500 range doesn't have any analogue output, you would have to go up to the 820-DC-RC or TC. As he suggested if your VFD has inputs that can call up single speeds then you may be able to get around the problem that way.

The analogue outputs on the easys only have about 1000 steps between zero and full speed, that might sound like plenty but when you are working at the bottom end small changes can lead to large % motor speed changes.

Ok but I purchased a PC and software and a cable for transfer of various programs to change speed idle the motor instead. Was that not a good idea?
Motor will be set to run at all times unless an estop or something is in the way of the 2nd photosensor

Ok but I purchased a PC and software and a cable for transfer of various programs to change speed idle the motor instead. Was that not a good idea?
Motor will be set to run at all times unless an estop or something is in the way of the 2nd photosensor

I'm unsure what you mean - transfer of what programs to change speed? "Idle the motor instead" means what exactly?

Okay, what software are you referring to? If it's the PLC programming software, generally you can download a complete program to the PLC and it will contain complete data and all, but it would be old data, stuff that was in place in memory when you saved it, including the data and the states of the I/O when it was saved. I'm not a user of the particular PLC you have, but that's usually how it works. People do not download a 'parameter set' to the PLC. That's what they use HMI's for - so the operator can select a recipe or setup or just to change a value in the PLC.
I have not examined the VFD since you did not include a model number, but since you do not have an analog output, you cannot variably control the motor speed, but you likely can determine a method for selecting 2 or more 'preset' (by you) speeds for the motor - read the manual (or post a link so someone can check it out - but you should also read it!).

These plc units are eaton easy512-dc-rc models. Also branded moeller. I was told by the company that you can switch programs by implementation of a different speed change to an output via voltage between 4-20ma signal.
Sounds like that's not the case. I'm totally lost.

I got the PLC number already - what is the model of the Automation Direct VFD?

You can use something as simple as a selector switch or even two pushbuttons to do your mode select change. Don't fret over that ...

Many VFD's have inputs so that you can select different speeds - I thought you mentioned that you wanted different speeds. If not, then you only need to think about start and stop signals to the VFD - may times you can get away with just a run signal - removing it can cause the VFD to stop the motor.

So, what is the model of the VFD??

1) Is this a project for a class or do you have a job that requires this?
2) Are the people who sold the components able /willing to help?
3) What kind of time frame are you looking at?
4) Do you need 2 speeds for your conveyor? Your Post #4 makes it look like you may want 2 speeds, but do you need 2?

I've download / installed the POS EasySoft software and find it difficult at best to work with. It's just not something I'm able to throw together a simple 'here's how you get started' sort of program.

Hey Dan
I really appreciate the help.

This is a job that requires this. Not for a class.

The people who sold me on this was Eaton themselves. Hard to get help on this topic. They also told me that this controller will support different speeds to a VFD.

The company is giving me less than 2 weeks. the person that was building the conveyor assemblies sent them late. So now it's crunch time for me.

Yes the conveyor needs 2 different speeds.

essentially all the parts that I ordered were between me and the guy that owns the company

it's purely cosmetics he makes these masks that go along a conveyor and gets sprayed with a solution and these mass are supposed to end at the conveyor get pulled off and put into a rack. This conveyor assembly you put the mask on the first laser detects the mask as it starts to enter its window turn on the spray jet soak the mask in a solution for a time period or a timer to find out when the mask ends the spray window and turns off the spray jet. Then the item travels to the end of the table were a nother photo sensor is and shut off the table.

I have solid state relays DC 24 volt that I ordered I have the PLC I have the 24 volt power supply for the PLC in the VFD. Two laser photosensors and the spray jet. and I'm trying to get all this to work together in conjunction. I'm very technically advanced but for some reason this programming seems beyond me. I'm the kind of guy that when I get bored i repair LCD and Plasma TVs in my spare time with my eyes closed but this project seems very illogical