Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

Padraic

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so just a quick hello to everyone. I'm currently studying a course in Mechatronics/Automation here in Ireland.
I have started my second year project and while I have been researching PLC stuff over the past few weeks your forum has already been a wealth of information, so I decided to register.
Its a mega learning curve for me as I'm only a machine operator in a factory, I'm hoping to get a career with more rewarding & interesting work.
I have decided to build a model hot caustic tank. I got lucky and I managed to salvage a Micrologix 1500 from a machine that was about to be scrapped :) I dont have RS Linx or RS Logix 500 or a cable yet. but hopefully I will have them by next week. Fingers crossed I can get online to the controller.

Anyway I'm looking forward to being part of the forum and learning lots and hopefully in time be able to help others out.

Regards Padraic.

Welcome, I'm in the same boat; final year at Sligo IT, B.Eng Mechatronics.

RS linx is free (the lite version is all you require). I have the mlx cable and s/w if you need part numbers. You can install logix 500 for a free 7 day trial. There is a new range of Micro 800 series controllers, the software is free. Also MLX 1000 and 1100 are now supported by free logix 500.

Hot caustic tank - I take it there will be no actual caustic involved?

Hows things, are you going the level 7?
A friend at work is sorting me out with the suitable software, so I should have that by next week. I might use a little caustic, just to make it realistic :)

Hi Widelto, thank you for the manuals, is the usb to RS232 converter a good job? I have a serial port in my Laptops docking station, so I'm assuming that it will work through there.

Yes, level 7. Are you at the same site?

Are you doing purely temperature or are you doing conductivity too?

The USB->RS232 will only be required then if you don't have your docking station.

For control (visual interface aspect of project requirement) check out Advanced HMI here on this forum. It's free and interfaces to MLX over DF1 protocol serial comms.

Last edited:
Yea the same. Temp, Level and conductivity hopefully!!! Yea I must check that out about the HMI.
What have you got planned for your project?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Just thought I'd welcome you aboard.

Nice to see another fellow Paddy about the place. There's not enough of us here at all.

I'm sure we'll cross paths again as you progress and start bombarding us with questions!

Slán leat!

George

Hi George, Thanks very much. Yea its good to meet a few more country men, yea I'm sure there will be plenty of questions over the coming months!!!
Slean.

The Micrologix 1500 will have to be programmed with the paid license version of RSLogix500. The Micro Starter Lite will only do the 1000's and 1100's.

My two cents on the cable if you do go with a USB converter is to visit AB.com and make sure it is compatible. Not all converters available have enough memory to sustained or prolonged communication with the plc. Very frustrating indeed

If you can't buy the logix 500 ($2,000 USD)- trade that 1500 for an 1100 which add-on cards can be linked via cable unlike the 1000. The lite version will program the 1100.

Jim

Hi Jim, thank you for the advice, this is the kind of help and advice that can save me a lot of time, heartache and money!!!
I will just use the cable with my docking station serial port for the moment, and I will research the correct adapter before I buy one.

Cheers Padraic

Yea the same. Temp, Level and conductivity hopefully!!! Yea I must check that out about the HMI.
What have you got planned for your project?

You will need analogs for all three (Kevin C stated that discrete control is too simple)

I have not used them but I believe there are expansion cards for the mlx 1500.

I plan to make a simplified version of a Komax machine. Ambitious, I know, but I persuaded my employer to lend me £20k of hardware so I'm off to a good start.

You will need analogs for all three (Kevin C stated that discrete control is too simple)

I have not used them but I believe there are expansion cards for the mlx 1500.

I plan to make a simplified version of a Komax machine. Ambitious, I know, but I persuaded my employer to lend me £20k of hardware so I'm off to a good start.
When you say analogs for all three, I presume you mean analog sensors? I have been lucky to get an analog card for the 1500, 1769-IF4.
Yea that sounds ambitious, but it should be a good challenge and its great that you got the funding. I'm salvaging parts from old machines that are being scrapped!!!