FT View ME Global Object Position Edit

Taelryn

Hello,

I'm working with FT View ME with around 50+ displays currently. Each display uses the same global object for a generic menu navigation bar.

I recently resized the buttons in the global navigation bar and now they aren't aligned with the side of the screen. They are about 30 pixels off.

Is there a way to update all of the global object x/y positions without having to move each referenced object? I know I can go and change all 50 screens but wanted to check if there was a faster way for future reference.

Thank you!

It's crazy but it just might work...

I'm assuming you have a navigation bar down the left hand side of the screen. Previously, the bar was located at zero pixels from the left (i.e. hard up against the left side of the screen). Now, after your global object modifications, it's 30 pixels from the left of screen.

Your global object is presumably a group. Add a rectangle to the group, the same size as the group, and place it behind all the buttons. Open a screen and hopefully the buttons are still in the same place.

Now, go back to your global object, and drag the edge of the rectangle 30 pixels to the left. Save it and open a display again; hopefully now you have a rectangle hard up against the side of your screen, and the buttons right where they were.

Back to the global object, move your buttons over 30 pixels to the left, and save. Open a display again; hopefully now your buttons are right where you want them and your rectangle is extending 30 pixels out to the right.

Delete the rectangle from the global object, cross your fingers, and hope for the best.

This is a total spitball idea and may not even remotely do what you want but that's how I'd try to start with.

ASF,

Thanks for the reply.

The global objects are a group, though I had them on the right side. I had to move the group further to the right.

I tried a similar approach using the rectangle within the group. It did add correctly, but I also tried to move the rectangle to the opposite side of the screen (0,0) with the bar immediately after it. The rectangle was added correctly and I was able to position the bar so that it was then in the spot that I desired. Unfortunately once I removed the rectangle, the object went back to the origin where it was originally placed.

Although it didn't quite work out this time, thank you for your attempt to help. This could work out well in the future for other solutions.

Dang. It was worth a try.

I guess you're back to brute force. There's another method you could try...
- Export all your displays to XML
- Open them all up at the same time in NotePad++
- In the first one, find the global object in question, and find the data that gives it its position
- Do a find and replace across all open files to change the position
- Save and re-import all the displays

Notes:
- For the love of all that is sacred do a complete backup before you follow my advice
- Make sure when you do the find and replace, you pick a nice long section of code to find and replace - i.e. don't just pick the bit that says "top=123, left=456", because you might accidentally get other hits. Find the whole section, if possible including the object or group name, so that you know for sure that you only got that one instance
- Confirm that you only got that one instance by comparing the "replaced this many instances" dialog with the number of displays you're trying to work on. If it finds more results than you have displays, abort mission!

I used the brute force method for now, it didn't take too long luckily.

The XML editing in Notepad sounds like a good method to try. I've heard of it being done but haven't taken the plunge yet myself. Likely I'll try this method when they decide to change something else about the global nav bar.

The trick is that the global object is referenced to the top left location. If you can add a sizing rectangle to the global to adjust it to the correct top left corner (this will only work if you need to move the global down or to the right) you can then give it a visibility animation. Make the expression "0" and the expression true state of "visible". This will make it so you won't see the rectangle at run time.

This is also useful if you use pixel snapping and have a global that is not on the same snap settings.