SLC 5/0X rack expansion.

I believe if you have a licensed copy of RSLogix 500 and an older version or RSLogix 500 emulate, that you can emulate a SLC 5/0x with the multiple rack configuration. Making that emulated PLC talk to an OPC server is a whole 'nuther can of worms and may not be possible.

for 3 racks you need 2 cables

cable 1
right side of rack 1
to
left of rack 2

cable 2
right side of rack 2
to
left of rack 3

thanks jimtech67, I missed the 2nd connector under the power supply. I found 2 1746-C7 cables and a 10 slot rack with 7 cards on ebay for under $200. Thanks to everyone for their swift replies!

What am I missing???

you open his project (1 project) - great
and you see (2) 13 slot racks - ok
Rack 1 has a 5/04 - ok
rack 2 has a 5/05 ????????????

then you state rack 1 is 4 slot with 5/04
rack 2 is 4 slot with 5/05

if I read it correctly, what am I missing?
(2) 13 slot racks connected together can only have 1 plc processor.
are the racks 13 slot or 4 slot, or is there 4 modules used?

james

What am I missing???

you open his project (1 project) - great
and you see (2) 13 slot racks - ok
Rack 1 has a 5/04 - ok
rack 2 has a 5/05 ????????????

then you state rack 1 is 4 slot with 5/04
rack 2 is 4 slot with 5/05

if I read it correctly, what am I missing?
(2) 13 slot racks connected together can only have 1 plc processor.
are the racks 13 slot or 4 slot, or is there 4 modules used?

james
James,

I apologize if I wasn't clear. Customer project has 2 13 slot racks, so 25 I/O slots and a 5/05 in slot 0. The 2 4 slot racks I was referencing with the 5/04 and the 5/05 were the hardware that i have sitting at my desk as currently configured to start with. I understand that this may have sounded like I was trying to have a CPU per rack, which is not a valid configuration.

Thanks for clearing that up.

there is a problem with what you are trying to do.
the customer has all this I/o, power supplies, plc, programmed with software version x, and firmware y in the cpu, and rev z for the I/o, chassis, power supplies.

While you can set this up in your office, you do not have the exact BOM.
Yes, this does matter, I had a similar issue years ago and ended up having to rewrite some code due to the differences related to the processor firmware and different plc's.

when you say bad signal quality ( if I understand that correctly),
is the signal 0-10 volts or 4-20 ma?
either way, is the signal cable shielded and the drain wire grounded at only 1 location? length of the signal cable?
is there vfd or motor wiring nearby?

just asking questions trying to help.

james

Thanks for clearing that up.

there is a problem with what you are trying to do.
the customer has all this I/o, power supplies, plc, programmed with software version x, and firmware y in the cpu, and rev z for the I/o, chassis, power supplies.

While you can set this up in your office, you do not have the exact BOM.
Yes, this does matter, I had a similar issue years ago and ended up having to rewrite some code due to the differences related to the processor firmware and different plc's.

when you say bad signal quality ( if I understand that correctly),
is the signal 0-10 volts or 4-20 ma?
either way, is the signal cable shielded and the drain wire grounded at only 1 location? length of the signal cable?
is there vfd or motor wiring nearby?

just asking questions trying to help.

james

Hi James,
When I said bad quality I was referencing quality of tags in our OPC DA client. I have a customer reporting that when he uses our driver to connect OPC DA client to tags referencing I/O points from cards in rack 1 no issue, but when tags referencing points in 2nd rack are added to client all tags go bad. so I am trying to setup hardware so I can try to replicate the reported issue. so with a 10, 7 and 4 slot rack I won't be able to totally replicate his setup but I can verify rack addressing which is point of interest for me.