Compact Logix 1769-L33ER to Micrologix 1100 Message

neogollum

Hi All,

I'm using a new 5370 model Compact Logix 1769-L33ER and want to read some data via ethernet from my Micrologix 1100. I'm having trouble with Logix Designer (new RSLogix 5000) rejecting my message path.

The new Compact Logix has the ethernet communication module built into the controller and so the path now starts with 1, 0 (backplane, slot 0). But when I enter something like '1, 0, 2, 10.10.10.10', I get the error 'Invalid connection path specified' when clicking Apply in the message configuration pop-up window.

Has anyone successfully set up comms with one of these new Compactlogix controllers to a micrologix1100?

Are you sure about the initial "1, 0" to specify the Ethernet port ? As I understand that's the part that's been *removed* from the path for messages for which the CompactLogix 5370 is the target.

When the CompactLogix 5370 is the message originator, the CIP Path begins at the controller, so to send a message to your target, the Path would be only "2, 10.10.10.10".

Some details from the RA Knowledgebase, Article 467768 (Access Level: Everyone)

Are you sure about the initial "1, 0" to specify the Ethernet port ? As I understand that's the part that's been *removed* from the path for messages for which the CompactLogix 5370 is the target.

When the CompactLogix 5370 is the message originator, the CIP Path begins at the controller, so to send a message to your target, the Path would be only "2, 10.10.10.10".

Some details from the RA Knowledgebase, Article 467768 (Access Level: Everyone)

Thanks for your response Ken. That knowledge base article cleared things up.

I had attempted to bypass the problem by adding a 'generic ethernet module' to the Ethernet section of the I/O Configuration, giving it the correct IP address and then selecting it in the message path browser when configuring the MSG instruction. I'll give that method a try when I'm on site just to see if it works.

That's a clever workaround to get the CIP Path into the I/O tree.

But be sure to delete that Generic Module object or at least inhibit it when you get a chance; the MicroLogix will reject the I/O connection request, but it will still use up a CIP connection resource both on the MicroLogix and on the CompactLogix while it's still attempting to connect. There's a chance it could even interfere with legitimate messaging.