Downgrade Project Version from 24 to 20 for compac logix L33ER

WISAM

Hello Everybody

I have a problem of project version :
I developed a program for a client on Rslogix studio 5000 , project version is 24 and i did flash the PLC (compac logix L33ER) with frimware v24 .the client have Rslogix 5000 V20.4 (the client wont to upgrade or change to RSlogix studio 5000 :oops:) .

So i did some research on the internet and PLC.net and i did the following to downgrade

1- I exported the project V24 and all routines in the main program in file.L5X
2- I modified the file.L5K (generated when exporting the project V24) ,[IE_VER : 2.15] to 2.11 to ensure compatibility .
3- I created a new project of v20 and i imported all the project from the L5X file of V24.
4- The operation is terminated without errors .

Till now , i did not downgrade the firmware and download the project V20 to the PLC .. :( ...

My question : Did you tried this approach before so can tells whether it is OK or not , or if you have some remarks on the approach? i dont want to do some lethal mistake to the PLC , and stop the client process.

Thanks in advance for you replies ,

Wisam

There are some data structures that are different in v24, and V20 may not understand these.
You can probably create new V20 project, recreate I/O config, then use routine Export to bring logix and tags. Copy/Paste may work too.

Although downgrading controller firmware is always a dicey endeavor, unless other present hardware and/or other connected controllers/systems incompatibility exists (even if the at hand application checks out Offline) you should be able to do it.

Make sure any SCADA/HMI (if applicable) application had been edited accordingly and disconnect any communications links to the controller except for the USB connected PC performing the ControlFlash firmware downgrade.

Needless to say, any power supply and/or USB connection failure during the 'flashing' could 'brick' the CPU; an available spare might come in handy...:D

Although downgrading controller firmware is always a dicey endeavor, unless other present hardware and/or other connected controllers/systems incompatibility exists (even if the at hand application checks out Offline) you should be able to do it.

Make sure any SCADA/HMI (if applicable) application had been edited accordingly and disconnect any communications links to the controller except for the USB connected PC performing the ControlFlash firmware downgrade.

Needless to say, any power supply and/or USB connection failure during the 'flashing' could 'brick' the CPU; an available spare might come in handy...:D

Thanx for the reply , i intended to flash the PLC using Ethernet communication , between my PC and the PLC :| ? i downloaded a frimware from RA web site V20.01 , dose minor version make a difference ?

The firmware revision is fine as long as your software is at version 20.04.

I personally never Flash Logix CPUs over an Ethernet port especially when USB ports are available; downgrading adds another layer of uncertainty and using communications services will just pile on 'things that could go wrong'.

Serial controller ports (either RS232 or USB) were provided especially for this type of procedures since they involve a minimum of participating 'components'.

You could probably use the Ethernet port if you wish, however, user convenience should be put aside when thousands of $/€ are at stake.

The firmware revision is fine as long as your software is at version 20.04.

I personally never Flash Logix CPUs over an Ethernet port especially when USB ports are available; downgrading adds another layer of uncertainty and using communications services will just pile on 'things that could go wrong'.

Serial controller ports (either RS232 or USB) were provided especially for this type of procedures since they involve a minimum of participating 'components'.

You could probably use the Ethernet port if you wish, however, user convenience should be put aside when thousands of $/€ are at stake.

Thanks alot , for all the infos.