PLC Programmers and Travelling.

Tharon

I'm taking a trip to another company to help them with some electrical issues and PLC stuff. It's cross country and I'm taking a laptop.

I haven't flown in years, last time was in 5th grade. I know checking and screening is a lot tighter. Do they allow you to bring your laptop and cables on the plane or do you have to check them? I have a bag with my laptop, mouse, and about 5 different communication cables.

Just wondering if any of you programmers out there have ever had trouble travelling with your equipment.

You bring anything in your laptop case, including programmiing cables, control screwdrivers, wire strippers, and any tool under 7" in length. The only thing that you can't carry on that would conceivably be in your laptop case is any liquid exceeding 3 oz. as per the new liquid rules.

control screwdrivers, wire strippers, and any tool under 7" in length.

Wow, I didn't expect that. I packed all my tools in my bag and put them in my suit case. I couldn't imagine them letting me take my screwdriver set on the plane... that's easily a stabbing weapon of some sorts.

The few times I have flown over the last couple years I have been asked each time to take laptop from bag and power it on. Once they see it is a functioning unit they send me on my way.

I think having your tools in checked baggage will be the safer (easier) way to travel. Even the small items that may be allowed will just draw a little more attention from the screeners as they decide if its allowed or not.

Once in Montreal I was question about my Banner demo box which I had in my laptop bag.
http://www.bannerengineering.com/products/subfam.php?subi_id=1112

Bob

Last edited:
I fly probably 40 times each year, and there is no problem taking the laptop and cables. But I would check the tools, even the smaller ones. I've had to throw away small screwdrivers and allen wrenches at the security checkpoint before, regardless of the 7" guideline, as it's the TSA official that has the last word.

S7Guy said:
I fly probably 40 times each year, and there is no problem taking the laptop and cables. But I would check the tools, even the smaller ones. I've had to throw away small screwdrivers and allen wrenches at the security checkpoint before, regardless of the 7" guideline, as it's the TSA official that has the last word.

QFT.

I always keep my tools in the checked baggage. I've had my bag searched a couple of times lately because they tell me that the random fuses I have in there look like bullets on the X-ray. I still keep them in there though. I figure it's more hassle to take them out.

I also fly a lot. Once, I had to go back and check in my multimeter leads (luckily I had a bag that I could use for that purpose) because they have pointed ends. After having to throw away small screwdrivers etc., I now double check that I don't carry anything like that on board. I carry my multimeter and/or portable oscilloscope, but the leads go in the checked baggage with the rest of the cables and tools. What kittydog42 says, that you can take any tools less than 7", is not true in my experience, and I would not risk doing it. Signs at airport specifically forbid tools, scissors, nail cutters etc.

You can do whatever you want with the tools, either check them or carry them on. It doesn't matter. They never even look at them unless I carry an actual toolbag on board, in which case they will measure each tool. There always is someone on hand at every security station that knows the actual rules of what is and isn't allowed, such as a supervisor. As surprising as it sounds, most of the TSA personnel are remarkably knowledgable as well. I flew 62 times last year, and a similar amount the year before, and I have never had to turn anything on to prove it works. This includes my laptop, RS-485 converters, Apple Airport Express, battery chargers, Fluke meters, Honeywell burner control displays, and other small control panel components. That is just my experience though. You are being led to believe that flying is more trouble than it really is. You don't even have to arrive at the airport two hours early anymore.

Good advice: check your tools but carry on your laptop. Most laptops can't take the abuse with the luggage being thrown in and out of the cargo hold. And you don't want to be waiting around while TSA completely tears apart your tool bag.

Kittydog42, everybody's experiences are different. I fly almost every week as well, and, in my experience, TSA personnel have never proved knowledgeable, at least until I decided to remove eny "suspicious" items from my bag when I fly, eliminating the need for them to guess what they are. A colleague of mine had to remove a digital caliper and mail it home because they said it could be used as a wrench. And it was a 6 inch caliper. Add to that the fact that you will stop the line and make all the people behind mad at you. Also, I fly out of Newark, NJ, and I couple of times I missed my flight because I arrived at the airport (I mean at the check-in line) 'only' one hour before departure. So I allow two hours no matter what. Of course, other airports are better organized. Anyway, I'll fly to SFO next Tuesday, and I'll ask them about carrying tools on board.

You will have to take your computer out of its bag and have it scanned separately.

I have started UPSing my tools to my destination. We've had tools stolen out of check-luggage.

df61 said:
Kittydog42, everybody's experiences are different. I fly almost every week as well, and, in my experience, TSA personnel have never proved knowledgeable, at least until I decided to remove eny "suspicious" items from my bag when I fly, eliminating the need for them to guess what they are. A colleague of mine had to remove a digital caliper and mail it home because they said it could be used as a wrench. And it was a 6 inch caliper. Add to that the fact that you will stop the line and make all the people behind mad at you. Also, I fly out of Newark, NJ, and I couple of times I missed my flight because I arrived at the airport (I mean at the check-in line) 'only' one hour before departure. So I allow two hours no matter what. Of course, other airports are better organized. Anyway, I'll fly to SFO next Tuesday, and I'll ask them about carrying tools on board.

SFO was the last airport that I carried tools through. The 7-inch maximum is applied to the entire tool, so a 1/2" open/box wrench is about the largest tool you can carry on. It is kind of an arbitrary rule, but I find that they apply it consistently.

It is always better to arrive early if you can swing it, no doubt about it. I would arrive earlier too if I flew out of EWR regularly. The last airport in which I cut it close was JFK. It took a really long time to check my bag there, but luckily security was quick. The link below is the TSA page regarding permitted items.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#7

My point about the TSA is not that they are adept per se, it is that they are more capable than I would have ever expected. I was not expecting much. "Garbage in, garbage out".

Last edited:
I travel quite a lot for work and usually check hand tools with main baggage. However the last time I had test meter and screwdrivers in laptop case for an internal US flights. The whole bloody US army (2 security officers) pulled me aside and took my tools, swabbed my laptop case for explosives and marked me for secondary screening on my subsequent flights which means I was took out for extra searching - not recommended

I would suggest checking all tools.

I travel infrequently for work (couple of times a year) but I tear my laptop bag apart making sure I have nothing in it but computer items. No screw drivers, strippers, or the like. I fedex or ups that stuff in advance.

Saves any potential headaches.

I am always asked to turn my laptop on flying out of MHT (Manchester NH)

Marc

Use common sense. Pretend that you don't know anything technical and you are a bag screener looking for bombs and weapons. Pack accordingly. Don't carry any hand tools, lighters, liquids (other than essentials). You will have to remove you laptop from the bag to be scanned separately. DON'T MAKE ANY JOKES ABOUT BOMBS OR BULLETS! TSA has no sense of humor.

If you are going to a major hub to check in, you would be wise to give yourself a full two hours. Local (small) airports usually do better, but not always. Plan everything for worst case and things will proceed smoother.

I've found that traveling since 9/11 is not as bad as I had feared it would be but overall, it is a PIA!