Wondering how y'all feel about Isagraf for SCADAPacks (SCADAPack Workbench)

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

I've recently been asked to help spec some SCADAPack controllers for a project. I'm specifically being asked if the E series controllers with SCADAPack Workbench (ISaGRAF) are worth looking into. I'll be the programmer so it's up to me, more or less.

My SCADAPack rep has informed me that E series controllers can't be programmed with TelePace unless they're flashed at the factory. My SCADAPack rep also has informed me that he's not the biggest fan of Isagraf but he admits he doesn't have a lot of experience with it.

Basically, I have been asked to decide if the E series controllers are worth it and I'm concerned that if I choose poorly, I can't revert to TelePace (which I do have experience with) and I'll be stuck with SCADAPack Workbench and even if I do get the controllers flashed, we've wasted a couple grand on a dev license, plus time and expense to get the controllers flashed (and look like a dolt).

TelePace advantages include already having a development license and some experience with it. Seems pretty straightforward.

TelePace disadvantage is being cuffed to the 8x10 grid, and feeling like I'm programming in 1982 and keeping track of all those registers, etc.

SCADAPack Workbench advantages include a more flexible FBD program both in placement (drag/drop) and not limited to the 8x10 grid, plus tags seem to be name based (I have a demo version I'm messing with).

SCADAPack Workbench disadvantages include the "great unknown" factor of having never used it, plus I've heard from some that it's buggy as all get out.

Thus, I'm wondering if anyone feels strongly about Workbench either way and if they'd suggest going one way or the other to avoid pitfalls/headaches. Is it really as buggy as I've heard? Should I just stick to TelePace and deal with the annoyance of the 8x10 grid?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I use Isagraf 3.55 on the older scadapacks all the time. I love it, now that I've figured it all out. I can flash the firmware between telepace and isagraf. Usually I replace the telepace with isagraf. Telepace is good when properly documented but far too often it is a **** show and missing the documentation. Because of this I'd pick isagraf over telepace although both are very functional.
I recently seen an E series so I looked into them.
They don't allow realflo or other C programs like the older scadapacks (yet, the one about to.come out is supposed to allow c programs)
and isagraf workbench vs older isagraf. Workbench seems to move backwards as there are a bunch of features no longer supported which I don't like.
I'm waiting to see how it progresses before moving towards them. There is a document that shows the differences. I'll look it up later.
Also I will make note that you.cant do online edits regardless of which package you use.

Last edited:
I use Isagraf 3.55 on the older scadapacks all the time. I love it, now that I've figured it all out.

Interesting, I wonder if I'd have access to older versions or if I'd be stuck with v5.

I can flash the firmware between telepace and isagraf.

Hmm, quite interesting. My rep told me it's "really difficult" to do and "half the time it doesn't work in the field". Sounds like he may be a bit overly cautious perhaps.

Telepace is good when properly documented but far too often it is a **** show and missing the documentation.

Yeah I've noticed similar, it can be quite frustrating!

Workbench seems to move backwards as there are a bunch of features no longer supported which I don't like.
I'm waiting to see how it progresses before moving towards them. There is a document that shows the differences. I'll look it up later.

I'd be curious to see this as well.

No problem.

For loading firmware they have the software firmware loader. I usually cold boot the scadapack so it's in default 9600 baud address 1. Then I download the new firmware. Takes an hour on those settings but I never had it mess up yet so. Lan default ip is 0.0.0.0 so can't do.it that way. You can do it through usb faster although I haven't personally done it my boss has.

Anything else you need let me know.

Hang fire another 2 weeks until the 570/575 is launched.

Main benefit is that it runs a cut down version of Unity Pro. Well looks like unity from the live demo i saw just before Christmas.

Software is a "zero cost" purchase, but still registered.

Price very similar to 530/535 and the hardware is almost identical.

Have a chat to your Schneider Rep

This is the one I was referring to but I thought it still used workbench but could also runs programs like realflo. The t3 and 535 could not
I guess we will see.

The programming environment appeared to be built into Configurator and launched a window that looked a lot like Unity.

I've only seen this running on a Schneider guys laptop during a conference call. Haven't had a chance to try myself yet.

I'll be putting in a purchase order for one and a copy of the software next week, for when they're released. I'll let you know how they turn out!

The programming environment appeared to be built into Configurator and launched a window that looked a lot like Unity.

I've only seen this running on a Schneider guys laptop during a conference call. Haven't had a chance to try myself yet.

I'll be putting in a purchase order for one and a copy of the software next week, for when they're released. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Did you get to play with it yet? I have not.

I have the software but still waiting on hardware. Schneider got a bit creative with their use of "Launch date" and "date we can actually sell you something". It's supposed to turn up next week from the last update i got.

The x70 devices are now "released" along with RemoteConnect, the programming/configuration environment for them.

Whilst the world of Unity is a nice development environment, there's still a significant number of bugs, both the trivial, and the project crushing.

At this stage I'd probably give it until about mid-2019 if you're pushing it on functionality.
We tend to use the DNP3 functions quite often, as well as Modbus scanning to map Modbus to DNP3 for a few thousand points.

Yeah i got a bit ahead of myself. Luckily we are only using in simple applications like small 2 pump lift stations so far. But i have been pulling my hair out with RemoteConnect... it is cumbersome and slow and has plenty of bugs, as you say.

I liked the configuration for the 535s. Hated isagraf. Now i hate the configuration, and like unity!