PC Worx Express - While/Repeat Loops

ce_ht

Hi, I am currently programming a Phoenix Contact PLC using PC Worx Express. The software and PLC programming in general are still fairly new to me.

I have got the PLC doing what I want it to do by using mainly IF statements but I am having some trouble with loops. I keep getting watchdog errors even when running simple loops, for example I am trying to run the following;

WHILE Global_Reset = FALSE DO
Red_Lamp :=TRUE;
END_WHILE;

I have a number of outputs and counters I want to reset using the global reset input but even with the simple function above I am having no luck.
Thanks for any help

Hi,

The code should be
IF Global_Reset = FALSE THEN
RED_Lamp := TRUE;
ELSE
RED_Lamp := FALSE;
END_IF

You would use WHILE/FOR loops specifically for repeating a piece code for n no. of times and then EXIT. Your code is stuck in the WHILE loop infinitely and hence you get a watchdog. (You could put an EXIT after RED_Lamp := TRUE and then it would work) but again use a Loop when you really need to. For your specific code above IF THEN ELSE is sufficient.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Or you can do it more simple:

RED_Lamp:= NOT Global_Reset ;

There's no need to use IF instruction at all