XML value in CompactLogix

spencestan

My client has a level meter that only posts their lake level up on a website (no hardwired option), with the data accessible via XML. I have a CompactLogix & Factorytalk SE system, without buying a special card, is there a way I can bring the level into my PLC via the XML link?

I can bring the data into excel, and run a script to update the XML every 15 minutes but how do I get that data (i.e. cell A3) into the PLC logic?
Yes, I know the control loop is slow but we are only moving lake levels.

Is this possible, another programming option or the only option a specialty card?

FYI: yes I read the XML post from April and everyone focused on the SNAP PLC, which is not an option for me.

I am thinking you could write a VBA script in FT SE to pull the data from Excel, then write that data to the PLC tags.

You could probably do it directly from the XML without bringing the data into excel. I have an automated watering system on my balcony garden that runs AdvancedHMI, which also uses VBA. My windows box runs a batch file every hour to download the latest weather observations from the Bureau of Meteorology as an XML file, then a few minutes later, AdvancedHMI triggers a VBA sub to open the file and pull out maximum observed temperature and rainfall information. I'm able to do this because the text preceding the information I want is always the same - so all I have to do is search the file for the preceding text and then grab whatever comes after it and convert it to a number. Once the VBA has the value, it's simple enough to write it into a tag in your PLC (or to just display it on the SCADA, if your PLC doesn't specifically need to know about it).

If I get a chance later on I'll try and dig up my code.