AB PLC5 RSLogix Frameworks Professional to RSLogix5000

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear All,

I am not an AB guru, and we dont use it a lot as the AB rep is not that great (IMO) in my country.
Because of that I mainly use Siemens, ABB and Schneider equipment.
I am quite proficient with RSLogix500 and I can deal with RSLogix5000. I have never used RSLogix5 though.

At present I have two requests from two different clients regarding PLC5 and I need some help.

First request is the conversion of RSLogix Frameworks Professional to RSLogix5000. What is "RSLogix Frameworks Professional" and how is it different from PLC5. Is there a migration procedure available?

Second request is to take a back up of ten PLC5 with several RIOs all networked with DH+. It is a paper processing factory and they dont have any backups of their code. I havent done it before so the question is if there something I should be careful of or what would you recommend as a procedure.

BR

Nik

Frameworks as I remember was an add-on to a PLC5 that allowed you to program the PLC5 in Function block. What it actually did was convert your function block program to Ladder which was actually run in the PLC5. You couldn't modify the generated ladder code directly or you would corrupt the FB part. To convert it to a ControlLogix program would probably be a manual task. I don't remember what the Frameworks blocks looked like and how well they would match up to the ControlLogix Function Blocks.

Nik,

To answer your second question regarding the backups.
As long as you have RSLogix5 and RSLinx to connect to all the PLCs and can connect on DH+ then saving all the code is straightforward.
If there are no backups existing, then there will be no rung comments, instruction comments or symbols and if there are analog cards, any documentation on that for scaling would not be visible, although the scaling will be.
It would be useful to document each of the remote (and local) racks in terms of cards installed, so that you have the I/O layouts.
Are there any intelligent cards, like Controlnet/Devicenet/ASCII/Basic cards - anything other than analog or digital? Any HMIs connected?
Have they changed the PLC memory batteries in their lifetime - maybe an idea to do so if they have not.
Other than that, PLC5 can be very straightforward in my opinion.....as you are saving the PLC memory to one location on the disk...

There are quite a few Panelview HMIs which I also intend to upload. I dont have a tool to connect on DH+ but I would have thought that the processor would have another com interface like DH485 or DF1 for which I have the tools.
The system is quite complicated as it has a lot of RIOs, a lot of 1335 & 1336 drives using scanport and also there is quite a few operator stations (PCs) from proface running Windows NT4.

To be honest, I dont really plan to get the code for upgrades and so on. The client wants to have the code for peace of mind. Regarding the PLCs the client is happy with his system and they dont consider upgrading, even though the hardware is already obsolete.
They would ish though to have their inverters upgraded. Is there a way to use new drives e.g. Powerflex to replace the 1335 & 1336 using some sort of interface. I guess Scanport is not available for these drives.

Regarding the batteries I think that they maintain when an alarm pops up in their HMI and not on a regular basis. For that I intend to replace them all during the backup. Could you please point me to the technical procedure of changing the battery?

BR
Nik

Probably by the age of the PLCs and Panelviews, then PanelBuilder will be required to download the applications via the serial port. They may or may not have Remote I/O modules, so check that too (on the back of the panelview, connected by RIO)

Never used Scanport, so unsure what it requires, sorry.

What models are the PLCs? All PLC5 use the 1770-XY battery, and are located on the front of the processor at the bottom behind a wee panel. Leave power on, open said panel, disconnect the battery, pop in new one, close panel....done (see attached file)

Yes, PLC5 are obsolete, but spares are available, albeit expensive. As long as it runs then fine..