PowerFlex 40 to 525

cdnewman

Hello all!

Preparing to upgrade a PowerFlex (Device Net) VFD to a 525 Ethernet unit. Any pitfalls I should watch for? How about migrating any parameters? Is this possible? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
D

I've used the PowerFlex 525 with the Embedded EtherNet/IP Adapter a few times. It was pretty convenient to add it to the IO configuration in RSLogix5000 and then program a lot of the parameters right in RSLogix5000. But if you have not done this before it's probably a good idea to read the user manual to get prepared for your upgrade especially if you are going from Devicenet to Ethernet.

I have replaced 40s with 525s. The only big gotacha that i remember is the speed reference on the 525 is 10x that of the 40. For example, on a PF40 you must give the drive a reference of 600 for the drive to run at 60hz. On a PF252, you must give the drive a reference of 6000 for the drive to run at 60hz.

The only other issue I have came across is that even though the PF525 has a smaller footprint, it is is quite a bit deeper. We had an issue with some shallow cabinets where you door could not be closed if we used a PF525.

525's deal with SLIP differently from PF40's.
If _exact_ speed is not an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.
If it is, read up on the Motor RPM, Number of Poles type parameters.

In a panel where DeviceNet already existed I previously just purchased the communication card for the 525 to keep the networking the same. If it's the only drive, or if you're redoing all of them in the panel, Ethernet is the better option to me though. Just mentioning the comm card exists in case it would save some time.

The present drive is Device Net, but I'm gonna bite the bullet and make the swap to Ethernet. Once I do one, the rest should go much smoother. The less Device Net I have, the happier I'll be!

Last edited: