iFix OPC communication alarm

scarm

Hi guys,
I've been mulling over and failing at this for a while now, and I'm just stumped. I'm much more familiar with the A-B family, Wonderware, and Schneider as far as HMI goes. I have an iFix computer running iFix 5.0 with Desktop installed. I managed to get it reading AI blocks from a Micrologix using OPC via RSLinx, but I just can't figure out how to make an alarm for when there is a communications issue reading from the controller. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

I've been trying to use event action blocks with "ALARM = COMM" as IF statement, but I'm not very familiar with this, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. My next option was to capture the <tag>.A_OPCQUALITY = 'BAD' condition and somehow translate that to an alarm, but I thought there must be an easier way...

Finally figured this out. Posting in case anyone else needs this...

-I created a DA block addressed to a SIM driver location to use as my alarm and made it alarm on close.
-In Workspace, under Schedules, I created a new schedule with 2 event based entries to toggle the DA block OPEN/CLOSE according to alarm condition.
-Picked a block(tag) reading from the Micrologix over OPC. I named this one TESTAI. When creating the event based entries, I put Fix32.FIX.TESTAI.A_OPCQLTY = "BAD" in the "Data Source" field. OPCQLTY reads "BAD" if you lose connection, "GOOD" if all is well. Then you just set the events to "CLOSE" the digital alarm block "On True" and "OPEN" the digital alarm block "On False".

Now my issue is figuring out why the background server will start up on my machine but not the machine I'm trying to get this working with...🔨