Tough Nut...

Most of the suggested devices are woefully inadequate.

Using fixed-position switches only tells me what I already know...
...the water is too high, or
...the water is too low.
It does not provide trend information.

Most of the suggested devices can not handle 4500 psi.

Some that can handle 4500 psi are by sight-glass only... no transmitter providing actual level information.

As far as sensing water through metal... Turck has one that can sense water through a wall about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. The walls in my accumulator bottles are about 3-inches thick. Even still, it is no better than a fixed-position switch.

I did find that one of the sensors from K-TEK is purported to provide level information (analog), and able to handle 4500 psi. "However, they did not provide a specific identification for such a device. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

?? K-TEK ?? Didn't they sell the "Pocket Fisherman"? Or was it "Best of the 60's and 70's"?

Terry Woods said:
?? K-TEK ?? Didn't they sell the "Pocket Fisherman"? Or was it "Best of the 60's and 70's"?

You're thinking of K-TEL. And, Ron Popeil (sp?) AKA Ronco had the Pocket Fisherman... ;)

By the way, you realize Tom suggested the canary idea in the hopes that after installing said canary, you would require a wastewater treatment facility to remove the canary's waste product... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Any reason why the Endress & Hauser thing isnt OK ? It seems to fit your requirement of analog level sensing + hi pressure.
My company uses rod type analog level sensing from E & H (though not this high pressure type), and they are generally very reliable.
E+H 11500Z [attachment]
NB: I cant link to their docs as they use dynamic links and something is broken on their website.
But it is www.endress.com, go to level sensing --> continous/liquids --> capacitive.

eh11500z.jpg

Last edited:
I would get some of those deep sea fish in them tanks.

Hanging some dull fish hooks at different levels connected to an Allen Bradley limit switch.

When they byte they give away the level.

Mike,

Nice try but it doesnt work. You probably checked the link, but it is only open as long as you are online. But it seems that the search engine works now. Enter "11500Z" and the PDF can be loaded.

Thanks anyways :p

NB: I think that the REAL problem for Terry is how to install any kind of equipment on that water tank. At this pressure the vessel must have a pressure certificate from the manufacturer. You dont go about making changes to the vessel. The best is if Terry can use an existing flange or opening wether it is used or not.
I also thought about an external device (ultrasonic ?), but with these wall thicknesses I doubt that it can work well enough.

Try this.

Jesper,

The link works for me, but the site is really slow. So I downloaded it and here it is. Anyway after looking around and checking the other links, it seems that this one may be the best bet.

Regards Mike.

When the system is stable, the pressure on the air side is the same as the pressure on the water side. Under those conditions, due to the difference in area between the cap side and the rod side of the cylinder, wouldn't the cylinder just stroke to the fully extended position?

elevmike said:
John,

Did you ever hear of Rube Goldburg?

Heck Mike I thought I was tryin to make it simple.;)

http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/bio.htm

Steve Bailey said:
When the system is stable, the pressure on the air side is the same as the pressure on the water side. Under those conditions, due to the difference in area between the cap side and the rod side of the cylinder, wouldn't the cylinder just stroke to the fully extended position?

Could't tell you for sure Steve, I just do the electrical stuff not the hydraulic. :D

John's post did give me an idea. Terry's diagram shows what appears to be a sight glass or similar tube on the left side, where the three existing petcock taps are located. Omega and others have floats that go into sight glasses, and proximity followers mounted on the outside that send an analog signal based on float hieght. This could probably work. Or, Terry could roll his own with 10 or twenty prox switches, each putting successive resistors in series to provide a stepwise variable voltage output as the float goes by. (I actually did a system like this twenty odd years ago for a rock crusher height adjustment feedback).

Of course, the personal injury lawyer scheme still has some charm in my opinion.

Ok what about this idea?

Add a "sensing chamber" (roll your own), connect it to the existing petcocks, keep the structural integerty of the system, and place the level probe in the new sensing chamber like so.