Omron CPM1A wiring with Oriental DC Motor !

Hi ! I am totally new to this PLC stuff and we do a technical practice week @ school and everyone has to choose something from a few projects. So please forgive me that simple question : I am sitting in front of a Omron CPM1A 40 CDT1-D its wired to my CX Programmer 3.0 on a PC. I do have also an Oriental Brushless DC Motor
(AXH Series 30 W) with a Driver card. My goal is just to start this motor, turn it on and off, slow it down and so on. The programming is not the problem I think :) but the the wiring of the PLC and the Driver card drives me mad. I tried everything nothing seems to work.
I do have a few manuals but I don't get it.
Don't get me wrong I want to make the project on my own but and I am not trying to cheat here to get a better grade. It's just I need an initial start ;-)

Hope someone can help me
Christina

Controling a motor drive from a PLC

Can you make the motor work from the drive, without connecting it to the PLC? I do not use DC drives, but in AC drives, the first thing I do is putting the motor to work, only then I connect the PLC.

If yes, how do you change the motor speed in the drive? Problably with an analog signal (or a variable resistor, witch is te same).

How do you turn the motor on? there are problably one or two contacts you need to close (or open).

After studing the drive and the motor, I believe you know how to connect the PLC.

Hope this help

João

Being a DC motor with a controller card and the fact that u didn't mention any Analog card am i right in assuming that the controller cards takes a pulse train input to move the motor CW (clockwise) or CCW (Counter Clockwise).

I am sitting in front of a Omron CPM1A 40 CDT1-D
Firstly, do u understand that the PLC u are using has sourcing outputs ?

I have attached the wiring diagram for the CPM1A-40CDT1-D outputs. This should provide a bit of a clue. (Look at where the 24Vdc + is connected etc).

U mentioned u have a number of manuals available. I've never used a Oriental Brushless DC Motor and controller but may i suggest to look at the CW input. Also u may have to provide some enabling signal to the controller ?...

For programming the PLC to use Pulse outputs u will be interested in the PULS(65), SPED(84) and INI(81) instructions. Look as the CPM1/CPM2/... Programming Manual W353-E1-3. Section 2-6.

If u don;t have them manual then search for it at the Omron Europe Site
http://omron.netcast.nl/dynamic/3_3_index.asp
Omron America
www.oeiweb.omron.com

Lastly, if u are still having trouble with the output, are u sure the output is operating ? Checkit by forcing on the output or writing a little bit of code with say. (this will turn on and off the output)
---[ 255.02 ] -----------(10.00)

Try wiring a small 24Vdc relay to the output. Does it turn on ?

OR Can u test if the motor controller ???

This should get u started. Have fun.. :D

cpm1a40cdt1 output wiring.gif

According to this document http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/pdfs/B_SpdCnt/SpdAxh.pdf you may activate a drive's input by wiring the internal GND to this input terminal... A sink-type transistor is required. However your PLC only provides "sourcing" outputs.

You might add some relays between your PLC and the AXH drive.

You could also work with resistors in order to pull up/down your drive's inputs : instead of wiring terminal 3 to terminal 11, try with some 500 ohm resistor. If it happens to work properly, then fit the resistor between 3 and 11. Add another resistor between 11 and your PLC's output (1500 ohm i.e). (If nothing happens with 500 ohm, try some lower values from 120 to 330 ohm i.e). You better choose 1W resistors due to the thermal effect to be "heatsinked". Determine by R x I x I = W ; R=R1+R2 ; I=24/R (around) if you use a 24V power supply for your PLC output side.

PLC output = 1 -> drive's input "high" and not activated
PLC output = 0 -> drive's input "low" and activated

what tends to invert your PLC output's polarity. Some relay should be added as a protective or confirmation part between drive's terminal 3 and the first resistor.

Due to your drive's input circuitry, I'd even bet you only need one resistor (1,8kohm / 1W) between 3 and 11, and wire directly a PLC output to 11. In this case use a resistor for each input to be driven. The CMOS "door" with 10k pull-up resistor to 5V should easily admit some 24V directly wired. Try this first !

At least add relays or circuits for inputs 11/10/9 and a push button between 3 and 7.

Does it help ?

Laurent

Hi !
Thanks for great help !
Finally I made it with your help and of my brother ;-).
Thanks so much.

My teacher couldn't beleave and I could even explain it !!!

Thanks and best regards
from Sweden Christina