servo motor control

irondesk40

Is it possible to control the speed of a servo motor with a potentiometer? Give the servo the run signal, servo run to a certain postion then return home and keep running that profile until the servo run signal goes off.
Have applicaton to control a spray nozzle and boss wants a servo and a pot that he can turn.
In the servo projects i have done in the past i programmed the speed of the servo move in the software for the servo. It was a Yaskawa.
Which brands do folks recommend?
Thanks

It could be done easily with A-B servos (Sercos or Ethernet). You set one axis as the virtual axis (master) and then the other axis as the slave. The vitual axis would have the pot as its speed reference. Less than 10 rungs of logic. I imagine most other servos will let you use a virtual axis as well.

Thanks, have done some machine with two servo axis - used festo, which i believe is actually a baldor with the festo name on it.
In that project I program in profile moves in the servo and then gave it inputs to move to certain positions.
Unfortunately all of the equipment we have is now in Asia,Europe and China so do not have direct access to experiment.
On this project all of the ac drives will be yaskawa and black max motors. We have used that combo on some pretty big projects the last couple of years and they worked great, plus the vendor we use is pretty good at getting you things when you need them quickly.