Pulse Input Wiring

coopdegrace

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding the wiring pulse output from a E&H flow meter.

Flow meter is a E&H 10P and input card is AB 1734-IB8

Question is how do I connect this up correctly so that I can read the pulse?

Do I wire the Pulse -ve (Terminal 25) to 0VDC and the Pulse +ve (Terminal 24) to my input?

Or Do I need do I need to supply 24VDC to the Pulse +ve (Terminal 24) and wire the Pulse -ve (Terminal 25) to my Input? If I do this will i need a current limiting resistor??

I have had some good help on this forum and just want to say its appreciated.

Cheers

Pulse Input.JPG

This is a passive open collector output so you will need to provide the power for the pulse. You would do exactly what you what you said. 24VDC to #24 and #25 to your PLC input. Make sure you connect the COM of the input card to the same negative of the power supply you used for the pulse.

As for the Pull Up Resistor I would look at the manual for the meter to make sure. The E+H meters I have worked with in the past had an internal resistor so an external one was not needed. But check it out in the manual first.

One last thing to keep in mind is to make sure you set your K-Factor (pulses/volume) to a rate that the IB8 can handle. Also don't set your pulse width too small or the card may not count the pulse either. I have a spreadsheet that will compute your pulse width based on flow Fate and K-Factor. If you want it send me a PM and I will email it to you.

I just looked at the specs for the 1734-IB8 and you will not need a Pull Up resistor. It has a max draw of 5mA which is well under the 250mA max draw of the output.

PM me your Email address and I will send you that Spreadsheet.