Rockwell software and Win XP SP2.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

on AutomationTechies I saw a press announcement (2-3 weeks ago) that Rockwells software is now generally compatible with Win XP SP2.
Has this resulted in release of new software versions ?
For me, I am particularly interested in RSLinx (the "regular" kind, not the "enterprise" type). Anyone know about a release for RSLinx that is approved for use with SP2 ?

Sidenote: Yes, I know that you can install RSLinx under SP2 and it will work as long as the firewall is not activated. But I am after an officially approved release.

According to Rockwell's TechNote G79662951, version 2.43 is, but at the end of the document there is a note that says a configuration change needs to be made and to see TechNote A86058399 for instructions (which by the way leads to further technotes).

I haven't updated to WinXP SP2 yet. I asked my Rockwell distributor techie and he says he has been running under SP2 for a couple months. He has helped his customers if they approach him, but he has not yet generally announced it as a great idea.

One of the reasons I haven't updated WinXP is I haven't heard yet if Siemens Step 7 or ProTool are supported under WinXP SP2. I'm running Step 7 V5.3+SP1 and ProTool/Pro V6.0. Have you (or anyone else) run these Siemens programs under WinXP SP2?

I have run STEP7 v5.3, Simatic Net v6.1 (but NOT v6.2), PLC-SIM v.5.0 and Protool v6.0 SP2 under Win XP SP2.
But Siemens will not condone or support it.

It is a real problem to get a new PC without XP SP2.
It is easier to get Win 2000 than XP SP1.

Oh my...I need 2 monitor screens to read that announcement! :D

My colleague could not run his siemens step7 v5 program under winxp sp2. No news about it still..:confused:

But I'm curious. I have RSlogix 500 in a pretty old version (can't remember it), and I want to install it on my PC, which is running on XP sp2. I could not get it installed (which is logical of cos), so I was wondering if I need to fix up some patchwork before installing that old version. What must I do first? :unsure:

regards
Sherine T.

Addtional notes: O.k..I didn't read the announcement clearly..But if I install that patch will I still be able to install the very old version? I can't check which version till after Chinese New Year, took a whole week break!

Last edited:
I have tried to run Step 7 V5.3+SP1 on XP SP2 and everything seemed to work until I tried to run the Station -> Export… function in HW config, then the program crashed to desktop. Now I’m back to XP SP1 and the export function works again.

Jolio AB has a compatiblity chart for version of AB software that are supported and run on XP.

RSLogix 500 needs to be version 5.20 or above. I have heard of cases where older versions, 4.50 etc were installed and ran but not version 5.00.